CHARGING ISSUES 1997 FORD TAURUS

• Jamiewatson
  • 1997 FORD TAURUS

I have a 1997 ford taurus and the battery wont stay charged I have had both the battery and the alternator checked they are both good I cleaned all the ends and replaced the main fuse going to the alternator but it slowly keeps going dead I took ou the radio all the bulbs and checked all the wires but it is still doing it and the alternator is making a whistling noise do you have any idea on what it could be

Tuesday, July 26th, 2011 AT 3:42 PM

• Docfixit

Check fuse 11 in I/P panel and fuse 26 in engine box. Do you have a volt meter? If yes check voltage at ATL connector. Engine 3.0L 12V or FFV?

Tuesday, July 26th, 2011 AT 4:09 PM
  • Jamiewatson

Its a 12 volt and the voltage is the same at the alt as at the battery

Tuesday, July 26th, 2011 AT 4:21 PM
  • Docfixit

Need to no whic wires have voltage should be two. Check fuses need to know engine designation

Tuesday, July 26th, 2011 AT 4:35 PM
  • Jamiewatson

The fuses are ok but there is only juice on one of the wires thats plugged into the alt its a three wire plug

+1
Tuesday, July 26th, 2011 AT 4:49 PM
  • Jamiewatson

Its a orange one that has the voltage and a white one comes out and goes to another isngle plug on the alt cant tell where the third one goes

Tuesday, July 26th, 2011 AT 4:51 PM
  • Docfixit

Power on Yellow/white and orange/light blue the Light green/red goes to ALT light. Does alt light come on dash with key on?

Tuesday, July 26th, 2011 AT 4:59 PM
  • Jamiewatson

The alt light on the dash isnt on and there is just power to the orange and light blue one only no voltage to the other two wires

Tuesday, July 26th, 2011 AT 5:17 PM
  • Docfixit

Yellow/white comes from Mega fuse 175A suspect wire connection bad. Either trace wire and repair or run new can be hot all the time. Ues MEGA fuse for source

Tuesday, July 26th, 2011 AT 5:23 PM
  • Jamiewatson

I thought you meant on that 3 wire plug yes there is power to the yellow and white one too it comes frome the mega fuse I replaced that fuse already is there ant possibility it could be the alt even if the dash light isnt on

Tuesday, July 26th, 2011 AT 5:31 PM