CHARGING ISSUES

1997 Ford Taurus

jamiewatson

July, 26, 2011 AT 3:42 PM

I have a 1997 ford taurus and the battery wont stay charged I have had both the battery and the alternator checked they are both good I cleaned all the ends and replaced the main fuse going to the alternator but it slowly keeps going dead I took ou the radio all the bulbs and checked all the wires but it is still doing it and the alternator is making a whistling noise do you have any idea on what it could be

Docfixit

July, 26, 2011 AT 4:09 PM

Check fuse 11 in I/P panel and fuse 26 in engine box. Do you have a volt meter? If yes check voltage at ATL connector. Engine 3.0L 12V or FFV?

jamiewatson

July, 26, 2011 AT 4:21 PM

Its a 12 volt and the voltage is the same at the alt as at the battery

Docfixit

July, 26, 2011 AT 4:35 PM

Need to no whic wires have voltage should be two. Check fuses need to know engine designation

jamiewatson

July, 26, 2011 AT 4:49 PM

The fuses are ok but there is only juice on one of the wires thats plugged into the alt its a three wire plug

jamiewatson

July, 26, 2011 AT 4:51 PM

Its a orange one that has the voltage and a white one comes out and goes to another isngle plug on the alt cant tell where the third one goes

Docfixit

July, 26, 2011 AT 4:59 PM

Power on Yellow/white and orange/light blue the Light green/red goes to ALT light. Does alt light come on dash with key on?

jamiewatson

July, 26, 2011 AT 5:17 PM

The alt light on the dash isnt on and there is just power to the orange and light blue one only no voltage to the other two wires

Docfixit

July, 26, 2011 AT 5:23 PM

Yellow/white comes from Mega fuse 175A suspect wire connection bad. Either trace wire and repair or run new can be hot all the time. Ues MEGA fuse for source

jamiewatson

July, 26, 2011 AT 5:31 PM

I thought you meant on that 3 wire plug yes there is power to the yellow and white one too it comes frome the mega fuse I replaced that fuse already is there ant possibility it could be the alt even if the dash light isnt on

Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Guide
Alternator testing done right