Specs of the car:
1997 Ford Taurus LX 3.1
Brand new battery
Good tested alternator
Battery Tested good
Holds a charge when running
Has all original accessories
2 weeks ago my car went to the mechanic to be fixed for a master cylinder issue. The master cylinder was replaced. I had an incident with the remote control for the keys (a pen exploded on the remote and I had to take it apart to clean it).
Since then, the battery I bought it with which was only bought in 11/09 died. Thinking that it just didn't fair Wisconsin weather, because it was from Georgia, I bought a new battery. It's an expensive reverse poll battery, 84 months. Three days of letting the car sit, the battery was dead. I tried starting the car and heard a popping noise in the speakers briefly and then nothing. I bought the battery back and they tested it, it came up with a bad cell. I then got a new one, the new one, died within 2 days. So dead that the power locks wouldn't work.
I had the car jumped, it tested with a good voltage of 14.3 during the car running. Then after the car was off it went to 12.4 volts. Figuring something was draining the battery I disconnected the battery.
Following morning the battery was 12.3 volts, the car started fine, and the battery went up to 14.4 volts. I drove it across town, and disconnected the battery again. Car drove fine after reconnecting it. I tested it about 5 times all with the same type of voltages.
Figuring I had a drain, I took it back to the place that replaced the master cylinder to see if maybe something just wasn't connected from the master cylinder. They found nothing. I then had their master mechanic test it for 2 days, they found that there is a 5 amp fuse that is draining the battery. They said I could pull the fuse every time I park the car, but realistically, they could not find a fix for the problem. They also said I cannot simply unplug the fuse permenantly because it controls the speedometer, odometer, temp control, anti-theft, and radio. (When I pull the fuse, my theft light comes on too)
I paid the 200 for their time, but I really don't want to pour more money into this then I have to. Any ideas on how I can pin down the culprit that's eating my battery?
have the same problem?
Saturday, February 19th, 2011 AT 3:32 AM