97 FORD TAURUS G, 6 CYL, 175K MILES, AUTO TRANSMISSION

• frugal4life
  • 1997 Ford Taurus
  • automatic

I own a 1997 Ford Taurus G, 6 cyl, 175K miles. I've owned this car for nearly ten years and have never had an auto transmission problem. A few days ago while driving on the interstate, I noticed the car losing speed even though the engine was running and the transmission was in Drive. I pulled off the road, stopped, moved the shift lever from Drive to Park and back to Drive. There was the usual feel when shifting the lever but the transmission would not engage, not even a slight shifting sound/bump you feel when the transmission is shifted into gear. I tried the same with Park to Reverse. Nothing. I could accellerate the engine and the tach increase RPMs but the transmission is non-responsive. The transmission fluid level is good. There have been no noises (grinding, etc) from the transmission ever. Could this be a sensor issue or something worse where a total rebuild is needed. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Sunday, August 7th, 2011 AT 8:57 PM

• rasmataz

Have the transmission range sensor checked if okay-get the transmission further diagnosed

Sunday, August 7th, 2011 AT 9:01 PM
  • frugal4life

Thank you rasmataz for the quick reply!

Sunday, August 7th, 2011 AT 9:06 PM