97 G, 6 CYL, 175K MILES, AUTO TRANSMISSION

1997 Ford Taurus

frugal4life

August, 7, 2011 AT 8:57 PM

I own a 1997 Ford Taurus G, 6 cyl, 175K miles. I've owned this car for nearly ten years and have never had an auto transmission problem. A few days ago while driving on the interstate, I noticed the car losing speed even though the engine was running and the transmission was in Drive. I pulled off the road, stopped, moved the shift lever from Drive to Park and back to Drive. There was the usual feel when shifting the lever but the transmission would not engage, not even a slight shifting sound/bump you feel when the transmission is shifted into gear. I tried the same with Park to Reverse. Nothing. I could accellerate the engine and the tach increase RPMs but the transmission is non-responsive. The transmission fluid level is good. There have been no noises (grinding, etc) from the transmission ever. Could this be a sensor issue or something worse where a total rebuild is needed. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

August, 7, 2011 AT 9:01 PM

Have the transmission range sensor checked if okay-get the transmission further diagnosed

frugal4life

August, 7, 2011 AT 9:06 PM

Thank you rasmataz for the quick reply!

Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Automatic Transmission Service
Clutch/Flywheel/Rear Main Seal Replacement
Drive Shaft Removal - All Cars