What would cause the transmission to intermittently and completely disengage from the drive train while driving at 40 mpg Automatic transmission with push button 4 wheel drive, no hubs on front wheels.
- Weather in anchorage ak approx. 12 *F.
- driving through major intersection when suddenly engine revs, but car coasts to a stop.
- after trying to shift gears (drive to park, then to reverse and back to forward, car engine revs with gas pedal applied but no movement.
- F150 is pushed to roadside. Tow truck operator arrives next, and attempts to get movement from transmission, gets a little result, then nothing.
- tows truck to reputable auto and transmission mechanic. Once again tow truck gets tranny to engage. Reports findings to mechanic.
- mechanic does thorogh inspection. Finds no issue at all, no fragments in bottom of tranny nor transfer case.
- drive F150 home (3 miles) turn corner onto my street, and tranny disengages once again. Motor running, but not moving.
- Get towed again 6 blocks to house. Unhook, engage drive, drive twenty feet and put in park. Try to adjust position in parking space and can't get tranny to engage in forward of reverse. Stuck!
Is this a mechanical, electrical or fluid problem? Is it the tranny or the transfer case?
Thursday, December 29th, 2011 AT 7:42 AM