TRANNY

1997 Ford F-150

Turtle6794

March, 6, 2014 AT 4:54 PM

I have a 1997 f150 4.2l engine. And it won't go into drive. I started my truck and left for work and realized I had a trial so I turned around and went home. It still had tranny fluid in it but drained dry. After work I top up the tranny. And in every gear but park was drive. So I went through all the gears again reverse work this time and drive only work at high rpms. After the weekend I no longer have drive at all only reverse. I have the code p0340 on it cam position sensor. Would cause that problem? If not what should I look at doing before I go get my tranny rebuilt

Ty Anderson

March, 6, 2014 AT 5:30 PM

How many quarts did you add to the transmission?
Did you check the transmission fluid with the engine running and the vehicle on a level surface? I want to cover all the basics first. Don't overfill because this will cause similar issues
It sounds like there is not enough fluid in the transmission when you say works at higher rpms but it is also sounding like the transmission has failed also.

Turtle6794

March, 6, 2014 AT 5:54 PM

So at first I added two litres and a tranny med. That's when the truck would move at higher rpms. I check while running and it didn't show on the dip stick. So I then added 4 more litres. It is in the cross section now well it's just past the cross section of the dip stick. Now it seems or acts like it's in nuetrual when in drive 1 or 2. It will only move in reverse.

Ty Anderson

March, 6, 2014 AT 6:23 PM

It sounds like your transmission has failed. Check all the wiring going to the transmission that none are damaged or cut. Check the vacuum hoses also that there present and not pinched.
I looks like your clutches or bands have failed specifically with 1 2 gears. Replacement or overhaul would be the fix for this.

Turtle6794

March, 6, 2014 AT 6:28 PM

Thanks for the suggest action I should take. Should I remove some fluid since it is high. And I will reply after I check the wiring and hose.

Ty Anderson

March, 7, 2014 AT 4:53 PM

If the fluid level is anywhere in the crosshatch area I wouldn't bother. If it is slightly high that's ok to.
Let me know if you find anything.