1997 Ford F-150 checked crank sensor

CHUCK EVANS
  • 1997 FORD F-150
I checked the crank sensor with a multi meter and the ohms reading is around 34-35. Is this OK or is this the problem with it not getting any fire and starting? What should it be reading?
Monday, April 6th, 2015 AT 7:16 PM

Don't know what normal is because that's a test we rarely do. This is a simple two-wire magnetic sensor so there's just a real long piece of wire wrapped around a magnet. Failures are typically going to consist of a broken wire, meaning infinite resistance, or corrosion between the connector terminals. It isn't likely one of these will short internally because the wire would have to get hot enough long enough to melt the insulation, and that's not going to happen.

If you want to know what a typical reading is, measure a new one or a used one in a salvage yard. The online service manuals don't even give a spec. Basically you're looking for something or nothing. The exact value isn't that important.

Also, you weren't clear in your reading. If that was 34 ohms, I could believe that. If that was 34kohms, that would be too high. Some ABS wheel speed sensor with a similar design can be in the area of 500 to 900 ohms. What's much more important is the voltage of the signal the sensor is putting out. If that is present but too low, look for something causing the air gap to be too big.
Monday, April 6th, 2015 AT 7:57 PM
CHUCK EVANS
OK that helps! Thank you! I'll check the terminals and wiring!
Monday, April 6th, 2015 AT 8:06 PM