97 Ford starter problems

• 1 POST
  • 1997 FORD F-150

I have a 1997 ford f150, 4wd, 4.6 "W" V8. I have had starter and electrical problems for almost a year. Most recently starter would try to engage flywheel with key turned off or not in lock at all. Yesterday, I got it back from Meineke. They replaced starter which has a starter mounted solenoid. I had replaced ignition switch and starter relay mounted on firewall.

I drove it home and it seemed to work fine. I went out this morning and when I turned key. Nothing, not even a click. I checked battery and it is stone dead. I then decided to use my jump start power supply.

When I attached the jumper cables, the truck started with no key in ignition. The starter kept trying to engage while it was running. Awful noise. When I disconnected negative battery cable from battery the engine turned off.

I am at the end of my rope trying to solve this problem. Obviously throwing money at it is not working. Can you help?

Sunday, April 3rd, 2011 AT 1:49 PM

I deal confidently with older JEEPS and FORDS. I donot know your vehicle well. Others can jump in an assist here too! I thought I might escalate things a bit by having you check or do some stuff that may help. Fully charge your battery before re-installing, do this OUT OF VEHICLE (or disconnected from it). Some rigs computers go crazy when the battery goes dead, and need to reset with a disconnection. I just went to Autozone. Com to see your starter set up. Solenoid is on the starter.I could not find a "Starter Relay", for your truck there (guessing this may be a relay on "S" wire headed to the solenoid). (Most people commonly call the "Solenoid", The "Starter Relay", As in both of my Jeeps, mounted on the fender [and used with a plain Jane Starter motor].I have no clue what this item is on your firewall (like I said, I do not know your rig). Regardless anything New, can still be/ go bad! What made your battery die is a mystery, Something could be left on, unknowingly. Maybe the starter/ solenoid change-out was mis-wired or the connectors were installed in such a way as to touch another terminal if they spun around while being tightened. If all is great, Battery and all. Investigate "S" WIRE, REMOVED FROM "S" Terminal on the Solenoid for constant power (it should only have power when the key is in the "starting position"). Let off, no power--start position, power--let off, no power. Ya. Whatever you try, have assistance, and be ready to quickly disconnect your battery if it hangs up again. Maybe someone that is familiar with your truck will pipe in!---Keep us informed--The Medic

Sunday, April 3rd, 2011 AT 3:05 PM