Car troble

ANTHONY TRAVIS
  • 1997 FORD EXPLORER
Test drove a ford explorer, engine light comes on after 5 min, stays on, dealer says its no problem, im not convinced!
please advise
Thursday, December 2nd, 2010 AT 12:14 AM

FIXITMR
Did they read the codes and give you an answer? You can buy a code reader for about $60 and read it yourself and look it up? I've driven cars for years with the light on. As long as it's functioning ok. There are no really serious issues in play unless car malfunctions which is why the light gets ignored alot by thousands of drivers.
Thursday, December 2nd, 2010 AT 1:44 AM
It needs an engine scan to see what's wrong. I'd go someplace else if the dealer says that unless you really want the vehicle. There is a problem with something in it either engine o r transmission.
Thursday, December 2nd, 2010 AT 1:45 AM
ANTHONY TRAVIS
Thank you, the dealer is small time works out of his house, he bought the car at auction and is selling it on as is.
Also I notice a rumbling sound when the car slowed down, and louder when I turned left slowly.
He said the sound is nothing.
I really like the car but feel it could be a potential nightmare, I could low ball him and use the saved money for repairs if needed.
Please advise, hes asking 2000 dollars I was gonna offer 1200.
Thursday, December 2nd, 2010 AT 4:12 AM
Not being able to see the car and asking me whether you should buy it is hard for me as I can't really tell what's wrong with it. If the light is on as you say, can absolutely ruin your fuel mileage. As you say you can hear a loud noise from the front. You are only going to low ball him by $800 and the repairs can cost you alot more to fix, even if you fix it yourself. I cannot in good concience suggest you buy this car. It sounds as if the guy just cleans themand does what he can to fix it and brooms it to someone else. If anything look for a better more reliable vehicle.
Thursday, December 2nd, 2010 AT 5:01 PM