97 STALLS WHEN IDLE / STOPPED

1997 Ford Explorer

bluwolff

November, 14, 2010 AT 11:28 AM

My 97 ford explorer stalls when idle, and taking foot off gas. Like coming to a stop sign or stop light, or slowing down to make a turn. If I keep one foot lightly on gas, and apply the brake, it doesnt happen. It runs great otherwise, never happens as long as car is moving at same speed, only slowing down or coming to stop. Any ideas where to start to fix the problem? Also need to point out that we lived in a very rural area, lots of dirt roads. I had my brakes done about a year ago, and the mechanic told me that they knocked about 2 tons of dirt off of my under carriage. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you, Liane

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

BMRFIXIT

November, 14, 2010 AT 12:29 PM

Remove and check air filter
open hook and look for any vacuum leaks
suspect idle air control valve IAC remove and clean or replace

Wrenchtech

November, 14, 2010 AT 1:33 PM

You may have a bad IAC ( idle air control) but try cleaning the throttle body first. Remove the intake snorkel, have someone hold the throttle wide open for you and scrub the back side of the throttle plate and surrounding bore with an old tooth brush and some carb cleaner. Be sure to spray some into the small holes next to the throttle plate. That should help stabilize the idle. If it still has a problem, replace the IAC.