Rapid Overheating after only a few minutes of driving

DEANAUTO
  • 1997 FORD E-SERIES VAN
Hi, I have a 1997 Ford Econovan 2 Litre. Yesterday it overheated and my radiator sprung a leak. I topped it up with 2 litres of water and after 2 minutes the car overheated and needed another 2 litres. I removed the cap to stop it pressurising so I could get home but it still overheated and needed 2 litres every few minutes. Today I started the cooled engine and ran it without the cap and it overheated in a few minutes. So I replaced the radiator and again it overheated in a few minutes but with no loss of coolant. I removed the thermostat but it made no difference - it still overheated in a few minutes. The heater blows cold air. The heater hose is cold to touch and doesn't feel presurised - I can squeeze it easily.
When I remove the radiator cap and rev the engine the coolant overflows but does not seem to travel in any direction. This model does not come with electric cooling fans. I was wondering if you could tell me the likely cause? Thank you in advance. Dean.
Thursday, January 12th, 2012 AT 1:53 PM

Block and pressure test the cooling system
Thursday, January 12th, 2012 AT 2:44 PM