1997 Dodge Stratus low fuel pressure

The car was running and shut off on my commute. I was not getting fuel pressure or spark. I have since replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, coil pack, spark plugs, and plug wires but the car still won't turn over. I have pressed the stem on the fuel rail but gas is only dribbling out and not spraying as I was told it should. I have switched the relays around to rule that out as well. Anything I'm missing?

Monday, September 1st, 2014 AT 12:31 PM

You said the engine doesn't crank so how are you checking for spark? If the engine IS cranking okay, and you're missing spark AND fuel, you need to be looking at what they have in common, not two different problems that both acted up at the same time. Have you checked the diagnostic fault codes? Chrysler makes doing that yourself real easy.

After reading the fault codes, the place to start is by checking if the automatic shutdown (ASD) relay is turning on. The easiest way to do that is by testing for voltage at the ignition coil pack, any injector, the fuel pump, or either smaller terminal on the back of the alternator. At any of those places it will be a dark green / orange wire. This test works better with an inexpensive test light than with a digital voltmeter because most voltmeters don't respond fast enough to give an accurate reading.

You should see 12 volts on the dark green / orange wire for only one second after turning on the ignition switch, then it should come back during cranking. If you see it for that first one second but not during cranking, the suspects are the camshaft position sensor, crankshaft position sensor, then a jumped timing belt, in that order. The diagnostic fault codes may indicate which of those is the cause of the no-start.

Monday, September 1st, 2014 AT 7:23 PM