Dodge Transmission

OREGONJOHN
  • 1997 DODGE RAM
A few times in the last two weeks my Ram 2500 diesel wouldn't shift into 3rd like usual at around 45-50 mph. The last time I went about two miles going slower. I finally pulled over and turned it off and restarted it. I then drove about 50 miles and it was ok. What would cause this?
Sunday, April 3rd, 2011 AT 1:43 AM

Check for a sticking or sluggish kick down cable from the throttle body to the transmission.
Sunday, April 3rd, 2011 AT 2:01 AM
OREGONJOHN
OK, probably a dumb question and shows my lack of ability but how do I check if it's sticking and how do I fix it if it is?
Sunday, April 3rd, 2011 AT 3:05 AM
Jump under the hood and work the throttle by hand. The cable from the gas pedal pulls forward on the passenger side of the throttle body assembly, and the lever it pulls on pulls on the cable that goes down to the transmission. Check that the cable going down to the transmission moves freely and doesn't bind or kink when you release the throttle.

Probably the best thing to lube it with, on both ends, is Mopar MP-50. It is very similar to WD-40, but WD-40 is meant more to dissolve rust and MP-50 is more of a lubricant. It's thin enough to soak in easily and it tends to dissolve bug juice and thickened grease.
Sunday, April 3rd, 2011 AT 4:27 AM
OREGONJOHN
Thanks cariodoc. I will try it tomorrow. I'm just hoping it's nothing major. I just bought this truck and love it. I guess I just need to learn how to take care of it and hopefully it doesn't become a money pit. Thanks again for your info and time.
Monday, April 4th, 2011 AT 3:18 AM
OREGONJOHN
Oh, today I did check the transmission fluid. It's above the max and has some small bubbles on the stick. Will this cause problems?
Monday, April 4th, 2011 AT 3:22 AM
Doubtful. The level won't get higher on its own unless the cooler inside the radiator has a leak. Was the engine running when you checked the level?
Monday, April 4th, 2011 AT 3:33 AM
OREGONJOHN
Yes. I had just traveled about 50 miles. I did a search on yahoo and it said overfill can cause shifting problems. I did the search after opiates my last reply.
Monday, April 4th, 2011 AT 3:56 AM
OREGONJOHN
Sorry I'm using my I phone. The spell correction sucks. That was supposed to be "after I posted" my last reply. Had nothing to do with opiates! Lol
Monday, April 4th, 2011 AT 4:02 AM
To be clear, the engine has to running and in park or neutral when you check the fluid level. If it was severely over-filled, the rotating members will whip air into the fluid. Since air compresses, it will make it harder to apply pressure to the clutch packs so you will have slipping or sloppy shifts. The shifts will still try to occur at the same times.
Monday, April 4th, 2011 AT 4:07 AM