Charging system not charging?

BERNICOT
  • 1997 DODGE RAM

I blew a rad hose right behind the alternator and I seen my volt guage spike then go to normal, my charging system then stoped working so I installed a new alternator, that didnt work so new battery, that didnt work either, check all fuse's their good! What next?

Monday, August 29th, 2011 AT 3:40 PM

WRENCHTECH

Check for power at the main terminal of the alternator with the key OFF. If no power found, check fusible links and maxi fuses. If power found, may have problem with PCM. That is where the voltage regulator is.

Monday, August 29th, 2011 AT 4:04 PM

Any applicable trouble codes? Can you communicate with computer? Did you check the generator fuse in power distribution center?

Use a digital multimeter at bat terminal on generator, what does it read, engine running?

Monday, August 29th, 2011 AT 4:09 PM
BERNICOT

I did check the maxi fuses, and no im not able to comunicate with the computer, I dont have access to a code reader, I was able to drive the truck as long as the battery was charged, when the battery dies so does the truck, im going out to check it out with a multi meter

Monday, August 29th, 2011 AT 4:17 PM
BERNICOT

So I used a multimeter and found I have battery power to the main terminal on the alternator. Thoughts?

Monday, August 29th, 2011 AT 5:00 PM

I didn't see wrenchtech, when I posted, he was here first. You don't need us both, have a good day.

Monday, August 29th, 2011 AT 5:07 PM

If wrenchtech is out of pocket? You don't need a code reader for some codes. You cycle the ignition switch, turn key just till dash lites come on, no further. Cycle the key, on-off, on--off, on, the the mil on the dash starts flashing, you count the flashes to get the codes. Your looking for two digit codes. Example, a code 34 would be three quick flashes, a slight pause, then four quick flashes, get the picture.

Monday, August 29th, 2011 AT 5:48 PM
WRENCHTECH

No problem, I went to lunch.
You can test but you may have a bad PCM.

Monday, August 29th, 2011 AT 6:12 PM
BERNICOT

Can I replace my pcm with a used one?

Tuesday, August 30th, 2011 AT 4:11 PM
WRENCHTECH

It has to be reprogrammed to your truck but you first need to positively know that is the problem.

Tuesday, August 30th, 2011 AT 4:36 PM
BERNICOT

I checked the code's and got 34 74 1 55?

Tuesday, August 30th, 2011 AT 9:45 PM

No generator codes listed. The two smaller terminals at the generator are field terminals. The white wire with dark blue tracer is source voltage, engine running, shouldn't be less than 10 volts.

If you want to word it this way, the voltage regulator circuity is in the pcm. The second smaller wire, the computer switches that circuit on and off to control charging. Could be wiring issues, could be computer issue.

Make sure the battery has a full charge. A couple of the codes, you listed, I don't know what they are?

Wednesday, August 31st, 2011 AT 4:47 PM
WRENCHTECH

If it is the PCM, you can just install an external regulator.

Wednesday, August 31st, 2011 AT 4:52 PM
BERNICOT

Thank you all for your help, im gone on holidays so I wont be working on this till next week. Thanks again!

Thursday, September 1st, 2011 AT 1:11 PM

That external regulator is a good idea.

Thursday, September 1st, 2011 AT 2:39 PM
BERNICOT

The external regulator is an awesome idea! I cant figure out how to wire it properly though, I miss the old days!

Monday, September 12th, 2011 AT 5:31 PM
WRENCHTECH

I've got the instructions at home. You need to buy one of the old Chrysler solid state voltage regulator. It has a triangle, 2 wire plug in the middle.

Here is a whole kit

http://store.alternatorparts.com/hd-external-voltage-regulator-conversion-kit.aspx
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa448/Wrenchtech/c8313.jpg

Monday, September 12th, 2011 AT 6:02 PM
BERNICOT

I followed your instuction's, bought this regulator and wired it as follows, ign terminal- a lead from the +bat side as well as one side from the little terminals on the back of the alternator, then the other little terminal(on the back of the alternator) to the fld side of the regulator. I made sure the reglator was properly grounded and viola! Its alive and charging! Thank you very much for all your help you saved me alot of money I dont have!

Tuesday, September 13th, 2011 AT 2:08 AM
WRENCHTECH

That was quick. Got you got it resolved.

Tuesday, September 13th, 2011 AT 2:11 AM
BERNICOT

Well, now volt gauge at 14 when running, gen light on, truck will run forever but no charge getting to the battery and when not running the battery gets drained?

Wednesday, September 14th, 2011 AT 5:57 PM
WRENCHTECH

Does the power feed that you sent to the regulator shut off with the key?

Wednesday, September 14th, 2011 AT 6:00 PM