Charging system not charging?

BERNICOT
  • 1997 DODGE RAM

I blew a rad hose right behind the alternator and I seen my volt guage spike then go to normal, my charging system then stoped working so I installed a new alternator, that didnt work so new battery, that didnt work either, check all fuse's their good! What next?

Monday, August 29th, 2011 AT 3:40 PM

WRENCHTECH

Check for power at the main terminal of the alternator with the key OFF. If no power found, check fusible links and maxi fuses. If power found, may have problem with PCM. That is where the voltage regulator is.

Monday, August 29th, 2011 AT 4:04 PM

Any applicable trouble codes? Can you communicate with computer? Did you check the generator fuse in power distribution center?

Use a digital multimeter at bat terminal on generator, what does it read, engine running?

Monday, August 29th, 2011 AT 4:09 PM
BERNICOT

I did check the maxi fuses, and no im not able to comunicate with the computer, I dont have access to a code reader, I was able to drive the truck as long as the battery was charged, when the battery dies so does the truck, im going out to check it out with a multi meter

Monday, August 29th, 2011 AT 4:17 PM
BERNICOT

So I used a multimeter and found I have battery power to the main terminal on the alternator. Thoughts?

Monday, August 29th, 2011 AT 5:00 PM

I didn't see wrenchtech, when I posted, he was here first. You don't need us both, have a good day.

Monday, August 29th, 2011 AT 5:07 PM

If wrenchtech is out of pocket? You don't need a code reader for some codes. You cycle the ignition switch, turn key just till dash lites come on, no further. Cycle the key, on-off, on--off, on, the the mil on the dash starts flashing, you count the flashes to get the codes. Your looking for two digit codes. Example, a code 34 would be three quick flashes, a slight pause, then four quick flashes, get the picture.

Monday, August 29th, 2011 AT 5:48 PM
WRENCHTECH

No problem, I went to lunch.
You can test but you may have a bad PCM.

Monday, August 29th, 2011 AT 6:12 PM
BERNICOT

Can I replace my pcm with a used one?

Tuesday, August 30th, 2011 AT 4:11 PM
WRENCHTECH

It has to be reprogrammed to your truck but you first need to positively know that is the problem.

Tuesday, August 30th, 2011 AT 4:36 PM
BERNICOT

I checked the code's and got 34 74 1 55?

Tuesday, August 30th, 2011 AT 9:45 PM