Dakota lost spark

DEN-DEN
  • 1997 DODGE DAKOTA
1997 dodge dakota 5.2 lost spark driving home, no power to the coil. Anyone have a wire diagram?
Friday, January 14th, 2011 AT 1:16 PM

You will only have voltage to the coil for one second after turning on the ignition switch. It will come back whenever the engine computer sees engine rotation, (cranking or running). If it does not, suspect the crankshaft position sensor or camshaft position sensor.

Special procedures are required to set the air gap of the crank sensor so don't just yank it out to look at it and stick it back in. If the Check Engine light is on there will be a diagnostic fault code that will tell which sensor has the problem. If there's no codes, you'll need a scanner that can display live sensor data to see which one is missing.

Friday, January 14th, 2011 AT 2:42 PM
DEN-DEN
I dug deeper, found a manual on line with wire schematics, I have power to coil + while cranking, also from B+ to coil- side of connector have I pulses. Going to pick up an ign coil. The pickup coil is under the cap so getting one of those just in case. 15 miles to town and only want to run once today in the darn snow. Thanks for your help.
Friday, January 14th, 2011 AT 2:48 PM
You have snow too? Sorry to hear that. Everyone I know in WI is trying to get out to get away from the crazy property taxes.

Don't waste your money on the cam sensor in the distributor. If you're getting 12 volts to the ignition coil, the automatic shutdown (ASD) relay is turning on. The computer turns it on when it gets pulses from those two sensors.

If you also have pulses driving the ignition coil, it does indeed sound like it's bad. Normally I'd say that's not terribly common but I just solved an intermittent problem with my '88 Grand Caravan that I was fighting for 11 months. Acted just like a bad accelerator pump in a carburetor but turned out to be the coil.

-1
Friday, January 14th, 2011 AT 4:11 PM
DEN-DEN
Funny you mention WI, I am here. Tony area, any way thanks to my GF and Car Quest. It was the $29.00 ign coil. Very seldom have I seen these fail but I guess as part of my complete tune-up at 195,000 miles I should have done that too.

I cant wait till the snow is gone and I can bring the Stealth back out!

Good day and Thanks
Den-Den
Friday, January 14th, 2011 AT 5:24 PM
Never heard of Tony. I'm in Wausau, darn it! Driving in Chicago is much easier.

On hot days my 3.0L would totally cut out at anything over half throttle, and pick back up when I let off the gas. Acted like a fuel problem but they actually run worse when coasting when the pickup screen is plugged. Standing still it could be revved up just fine. Eventually it would sputter for a few minutes, then die, but could be restarted in a couple of minutes. Ran fine on cold days until about two months ago when it died completely. Finally I found no spark. ASD relay was turning on and scanner said it was calling for spark. Popped in a used coil from my other van and it's running great. Made a 570 mile round trip around the state and it's back up to almost 23 mpg. Yippee!

All I can figure is at higher rpm and load, it took a higher spark voltage and that's when the coil was breaking down. When it died and had to be trailered home, that was the first time in 22 years and 224,000 miles it didn't get me home on its own power.

Friday, January 14th, 2011 AT 6:28 PM
DEN-DEN
Driving in Chicago easier then Wausau? At least Wausau doesn't have them darn Tolls. Try Ladysmith during hunting season weekend. Kidding, anyway my truck started hard a few months ago after a rain, so I replaced Plugs OE wires, cap, rotor and seemed to fix it till now.

Years ago I had a oscilloscope for cars, but when electronic ign and coil packs etc came out I got rid of it. Didn't need it to watch the old points system anymore. Good old days.
Friday, January 14th, 2011 AT 6:43 PM