97 Dodge Caravan overheats

MMGILLS
  • 1997 DODGE CARAVAN
My engine overheated & water is coming from the engine
Tuesday, January 18th, 2011 AT 8:40 PM

Can't really see it clearly from here. Can you describe where it's leaking?
Tuesday, January 18th, 2011 AT 8:58 PM
MMGILLS
I am not very good at this - but my engine (as I have been told)is side mounted under the dash. The water was coming from the driver side of the engine. I was told to buy Blue devil, I followed the directions on the bottle & after a while having the engine run, out came the water again from the same area.
Tuesday, January 18th, 2011 AT 11:57 PM
Can you see if the water is coming from a rubber hose? There isn't much on the driver's side. There are some pressed-in plugs that I suspect are not the problem because any type of additive would not fix that. A small leak in a rubber hose might be able to be plugged for a little while but the tear will get worse the next time the engine warms up and builds pressure in the system.

Someone is going to have to look at it to see what's leaking. If you have to drive it to a mechanic, loosen the radiator cap half way. (Push down on it then turn it counter-clockwise about 1/8 turn. That will prevent it from building up pressure which would push the coolant out faster. When loosened only half way, you won't be able to lift the cap all the way off.

If you start with a cold engine, you should be able to drive about two miles before it overheats, less if you have to go through stop and go traffic. Keep an eye on the temperature gauge and shut the engine off if it goes higher than normal. Overheating the engine can warp a cylinder head and cause the head gasket to leak which is a very expensive repair. Also, if the gauge goes all the way down to "cold" assume the engine is hot and let it cool down for 15 - 20 minutes. The gauge won't register when the coolant is empty.

These engines cool down pretty quickly so it is possible to nurse it for quite a long way by driving a mile or two, then letting it cool for 15 minutes. (Turn the engine off to let it cool down; don't just stop and let it idle).

Wednesday, January 19th, 2011 AT 1:03 AM