I HAVE A 1997 CHEVY 3500 HD CAB AND CHASSIS ...

1997 Chevrolet Uplander

Anonymous

I have a 1997 Chevy 3500 HD cab and Chassis truck. It has the 454 engine, manual 5 speed, 2 wheel drive. It is a fleet vehicle and we use it to move skidsteers. 12,000 pound loads. It has never been a power house but always reliable. We have had for atleast 8 years. It runs hot in my opinion and always has. 210-220 not uncommon. Low on power but gets the job done. Starts and dies hot or cold then runs smooth. It has been this way for a long time and we are thinking of getting rid of. Everyone says are you sure that is a 454 because they had drove one in the past that was way more powerful. Does anyone have a suggestion of what may need to be repaired or are my drivers just used to the diesel engines they have and forgot what the 454 was like. I should also tell you the exhaust is very rich smelling, always has been but the truck does not smoke or use oil. Thanks for any imput

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

hmac300

210-220 on temp is ok as it shold have a 195 tstat and the sender is in the head anyhow. Check that for loose intake manifold bolts, they are only 6 mm and loosen up and it causes a vacuum leak. Also check fuel pressure it shold have 56 psi minimum. Also check intake vacuum if at 15" or belwo suspect a clogged converter.