1997 Chevrolet Tahoe knock near carburetor

SOROYAL
  • 1997 CHEVROLET TAHOE
My truck has aknocking soud at the top near the carburetor
I've asked so called mechanics and they say rod knock get a new motor but one mechanic actually took time out and really check it out and his finding was that the knock is coming from the top of the engine right at the carburetor. Please tell me what's wrong I'm a single mother with an asthmatic daughter this is myonly transportaion. Help me please
Saturday, August 17th, 2013 AT 10:54 PM

Knocks/ticks and noises in general are hard to diagnose here on computer. If it's by the top of engine it may be loose rocker arms or lifter noises from going bad, especially with the amount of miles on your truck. If it starts when you star the truck then goes away it is probably alifter that has collapsed and then is pressuring up. These can be replaced. If your turck carries low oil pressure like less than 20 psi then you might think about a new engine. But rod knocks can be shorted out by pulling plug wires while knocking sound is going on. This could also be a piston knock which also could be shorted out the same way to determine the noise. If that is the case then i'd suggest a new engine but you would need someone to do this . Like I've said noises are hard to determine here on computer but hope this gives you a better idea. If the cylinder is shorted out by removing the wire and the noise disappears then I would definitely suggest another engine be it rebuilt, junkyard or new.
Sunday, August 18th, 2013 AT 6:37 AM
SOROYAL
I was told its a knock sensor
Sunday, August 18th, 2013 AT 7:47 AM
The knock sensor retard timing when a knock is picked up and makes no noise at all. I'd suggest finding another mechanic ifyou think the guy was telling the truth.
Sunday, August 18th, 2013 AT 8:04 AM