K1500 no run, no start up chime

ROB-BEERS@HOTMAIL.COM
  • 1997 CHEVROLET SUBURBAN
I have a 1997 Chevy suburban 5.7 vin R, truck cranks but doesn't run and the chime operates normally except when the key is turned to run as it usually chimes for a few seconds during the light check
Monday, January 10th, 2011 AT 7:56 PM

ROB-BEERS@HOTMAIL.COM
*in addition to previous information mentioned, I installed a set of fog lights prior to the problem occuring, the switch is wired to the blower fuse in the engine compartment and some wire harnesses near the large module were disturbed, but wiggle testing with the key on does not produce any chime or affect start up. The injector sounds weak and intermittent. All fuses appear good, chime and no-run problem developed at exact same time
Monday, January 10th, 2011 AT 8:01 PM
Make sure the battery has a full charge and connections are good. Have a helper crank it, while you visually check for spark at the spark plugs. If you think there may be a problem with feed to ignition switch, that is two red wires, hot all the time, protected by maxi fuse 5 and maxi fuse 6 under the hood, fuse box. As far as the basics, make sure you have good spark and good fuel pressure. With multiple issues, I pick one circuit and backtrack.
Monday, January 10th, 2011 AT 8:32 PM
ROB-BEERS@HOTMAIL.COM
I have vast experience but no longer any tools after changing professions, I can have a helper crank to check for spark, but im looking more for any ideas with shared exsperiences or possible known tsb's. With the ignition chime and engine run inop at the same time especially after an aftermarket install im confident the two are related, I just dont even have a multimeter much less a scan tool to check anything with. I tried to find scematics online but noithing free pops up and the first pay site gave me a simple list of color codes for limited systems for $4 (rip-off). While im looking to see if there is a lack or spark and fuel which I suspect with a lack of chime theres a cause for the ecm to not be signaling any ignition, if you could gather whatever knowledge of this combination of failures you may have. Thanks
Monday, January 10th, 2011 AT 10:00 PM
ROB-BEERS@HOTMAIL.COM
Ok so the truck does get spark, there is no fuel and without diagnostic tools it appears the injector and pump are not being signaled on. So looking at everything working normal except the chime at start/run and the fuel same time.
Tuesday, January 11th, 2011 AT 6:15 PM
If the chime doesn't have anything to do with ignition switch, then I don't about the chime. Keep your attitude to yourself.

Use a gage and check fuel pressure. I'm not a chime expert. Have a good day.
Tuesday, January 11th, 2011 AT 7:49 PM
FORD MAN
Sounds like a fuel problem. Do you hear the fuel pump come on after you turn the key on? Check the directions on the cover of the main power supply under the hood, you may have knocked something loose while wiring in those new lights.

Ford Man in Michigan
Tuesday, January 11th, 2011 AT 8:10 PM
KHLOW2008
For testing electrical circuits, the minimum you need would be a test lamp which could be easily obtained from any parts store. Without any diagnostics tools, some diagnostic procedures cannot be performed and you are not going anywhere.

At the ignition switch, test for voltage at the Pink wire with ignition switch turned to ON and while cranking. If voltage is not available, the ignition switch is bad, unless both red wires does not have voltage as well, then JDL has mentioned the fuses to check. When power supply is interrupted, the chime would not work so a faulty ignition switch fits into it.

Forsman is correct about knocking some wires looe so it is not going to be easy except if you feel that it is related to the work you did, you have to back track and recheck connections.

For wiring circuits, I have attached the engine control wiring schematics. Had to break them up as the complete diagram is too small to be ligible. Hope it is helpful.
Saturday, January 15th, 2011 AT 2:00 PM

Related Engine Not Starting Content