Cold start motor

ROAKES1
  • 1997 CHEVROLET SUBURBAN
1997 chevy suburban with 454. Motor starts fine first thing in morning, but stop at store and stop motor for more than 10 min and it's hard to start. It turns over and over for about 20 sec. Then starts with a bad gas smell. If only stop motor at store for a few min. Like 2-3 min. Then motor starts right up like normal.
Wednesday, March 2nd, 2011 AT 6:02 PM

Check the fuel pressure with a fuel pressure tester-the fuel pressure could be leaking-injector/s or the fuel pressure regulator
Wednesday, March 2nd, 2011 AT 6:07 PM
ROAKES1
I did check the fuel pressure. At hard starts, pressure is 48-50 psi as motor turns over it slowly climbs and at about 55-58 psi it cranks and thats when I smell gas real bad, as if it had been flooded.I do remember changing fuel pump about 3 years ago, Do think it was hard times and may have been a salvage yard item. Do know that I did change fuel pressure regulator out 2 years ago.I have not had to drive vehicle very much so this problem has been going on for quite a while. I do greatly thank you for any help I can get.
Thursday, March 3rd, 2011 AT 4:57 AM
ROAKES1
Ok I changed the fuel pump today. It seems to start a little better but not much at all. When key turned forward I get 59psi, then when I start motor, get 49-50psi, then when I turn off motor pressure drops to 10psi in 10 seconds. I am not sure how if able to isolate and test if the problem is a leaking injector or the regulator. With injectors costing $750.00 and a regulator costs $80.00, either job seems to be a full day event. If able to check either injectors and regulator so I can now for sure that would be great.
Tuesday, March 8th, 2011 AT 4:39 AM