THE OTHER DAY ONE OF MY REAR WHEELS CAME OFF ...

1997 Chevrolet Silverado

Anonymous

October, 17, 2012 AT 4:22 AM

THE OTHER DAY ONE OF MY REAR WHEELS CAME OFF WHILE DRIVING DOWN THE HIGHWAY, LOST DRUM AND WHEEL, BUT REPLACED THE PARTS, CHECKED ALL LINES FOR LEAKS, BLED BRAKES AFTER ADJUSTING REAR WHEEL, BUT HAD NO BRAKES, STARTED REPLACING PARTS, SUCH AS, POWER BOOSTER, MASTER CYCLINDER, FRONT BRAKE PADS, REAR WHEEL CYCLINDERS, FRONT BRAKE CALIPERS, RECHECKED EVERYTHING, STILL NO BRAKES, I HAVE DONE ABOUT EVERYTHING I KNOW TO DO, BRAKES WILL PUMP UP AND HOLD, BUT AFTER BLEEDING, BRAKES STILL GO ALL THE WAY TO THE FLOOR, BRAKES WORKED FINE BEFORE REAR WHEEL, DRIVER SIDE, CAME OFF, I FOUND NO LEAKS NOWHERE, REPLACED EVERYTHING I KNOW, I NEED HELP BADLY, THANKS

caradiodoc

October, 17, 2012 AT 9:26 AM

Instead of diagnosing the problem, you introduced a whole bunch of new variables into the problem by replacing random parts, most of which won't cause a low pedal. In particular, the power booster won't cause that but a misadjusted push rod on the replacement can. It IS possible to damage the master cylinder the first time the pedal went to the floor when the drum came off. Did you bench-bleed the new one before installing it? It wasn't a used master cylinder from a salvage yard, was it?

Have you tried driving the truck since installing the new parts? GMs have a characteristic where the pedal can be pushed to the floor when you're standing still but the wheels would be locked up and skidding if you were on the highway. That is normal for them but it can be misleading. A lot of people have spent a lot of time looking for a problem that didn't exist.

If the pedal really is too low, there's either air in the line yet or a rear brake isn't fully adjusted up. That can be misleading too, especially on trucks. If the shoes are not centered in the drum, one can start to drag first when you manually adjust them up and give the illusion that both are adjusted up all the way. I like to take the drum off, turn the star wheel adjuster up, then try to push the drum back on. I have better luck doing it that way than by adjusting the star wheel with the drum installed.

Did you install the shoes with the shorter linings toward the front of the truck, and the longer linings toward the rear?

Brake Master Cylinder Replacement Like a Pro
Brake Shoe/Drum Replacement - Rear
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Chevrolet
Brake Pad & Rotor Replacement Acura TL
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Mercedes ML