Over heating caviler

CASEY HAUENSTEIN
  • 1997 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
  • 125 MILES
I have a 97 cavalier and I just changed the thermostat and it is still over heating what else could be the problem?
Friday, January 14th, 2011 AT 5:08 PM

Does the radiator fan work? Do you have coolant flow through the radiator?
Friday, January 14th, 2011 AT 5:32 PM
CASEY HAUENSTEIN
I have the fan wired to the fuse box right now cause it stoped working I got a new relay fuse for it and im pretty sure ther is coolant running through it could it be the catalitic converter
Friday, January 14th, 2011 AT 5:41 PM
I'd have check everything else, before I suspected the converter. Is it a boil-over? I'd use a non-contact thermometer on engine, to see if that reading was close to the gage reading?
Friday, January 14th, 2011 AT 7:06 PM
CASEY HAUENSTEIN
Boil over? It hasnt boiled over yet but what should my gage reading b and is the non contact thermometer something I can get for cheep cause I dont have a lot of cash to go with. Heres whats up the car didnt have anyproblems except that the fan wasnt on for a while like a month and now I got it hot wired to my fuses cause we were going down the hwy the other day and it started to get really hot so do u think if I can get the fan working like it should everything will be fine. Cause I know I need a new catalitic converter cause my car sounds like I have an exaust tip on it when I dont
Friday, January 14th, 2011 AT 8:13 PM
Do you have a coolant reservoir? What's the fluid level look like, engine hot? New radiator cap? If coolant gets too hot, it will pop the radiator cap and the overflow bottle, where applicable, will fill up or overflow. Some makes and models, I remove the thermostat, then hook everything back up. Then the flow through the radiator is instant. Some radiators, I can see or feel the coolant flow. Radiator is full? Remove the cap, watch the coolant, if it starts rising instantly and overflows, sounds like combustion gases getting into the coolant.
Friday, January 14th, 2011 AT 8:33 PM
CASEY HAUENSTEIN
What do I do if combustion gases get in the coolant.
Friday, January 14th, 2011 AT 8:56 PM
Maybe a head-gasket problem? Hard to tell from here.
Friday, January 14th, 2011 AT 9:08 PM
CASEY HAUENSTEIN
Ok thank u if I have anymore questions ill get back to ya
Friday, January 14th, 2011 AT 10:02 PM
I'll be here. Have a good day.
Thursday, March 3rd, 2011 AT 4:01 PM