1997 CHEVROLET BLAZER WON'T SHIFT PAST 2ND

• ChevyGirl4
  • 1997 Chevrolet Blazer
  • automatic

(Sorry I sent this before but have been locked out of the email I used for it so had to send through this email address)
My 97 blazer 4x4 automatic will not shift past 2nd gear. When I manually put it in third it feels like it is in neutral. I just brought it in for an oil change last week and they had to add 4 quarts of tranny fluid to it. The fluid in there they said was almost black. I am a single mom and cannot afford to spend too much on a transmission rebuild or even getting a new vehicle. What could this problem be?

Tuesday, March 11th, 2014 AT 6:42 PM

• hmac300

If the bluid was black and that low take this right to a trans shope it's probably burnt up

Wednesday, March 12th, 2014 AT 6:54 AM
  • ChevyGirl4

It is burnt and smells like it. I brought it to a trans shop and they said it could be solenoids but they couldn't figure it out unless they took the pan off, drained the tranny fluid, replaced the solenoid then put new fluid in. And that will cost me over $200. I don't know if they are ripping me off because I am female and really know close to nothing about vehicles.

Wednesday, March 12th, 2014 AT 9:50 AM
  • hmac300

Like I said it's shot try another tranny shop. Make sure to tell them that the fluid was replaced prior and it was black when removed.

Wednesday, March 12th, 2014 AT 12:05 PM