TRANSMISION STUCK IN THIRD GEAR

1997 Chevrolet Blazer

tommytrue

September, 19, 2013 AT 9:19 AM

My blazer has a check engine light that is on and the codes that have come up are p0740, p0785, p0753, p0758 and p1860. The key will not turn back to the off position as well. I have looked at the ignition for any signs of shorted wires etc. All I realy noticed that the acutator has a little crack in the plastic and the button does not seem like its spring loaded. Every once and a great while the transmision will work ok and the key will come out on its own. The transmission fluid level is correct and looks to be ok.

hmac300

September, 19, 2013 AT 9:29 AM

Those are all transmission codes, check to see if you have broken wires at trans connection or it's unhooked for some reason. Otherwise check fluid level an dhave a trans guy look at it.

tommytrue

September, 19, 2013 AT 9:59 AM

Yes they are. The transmission seems to be in safety mode by staying in third gear and with the ignition not turning all the way back to the off position makes me think it could be connected. Its just realy weird that I would have all five codes thrown at me all at once.

hmac300

September, 19, 2013 AT 10:01 AM

Check your ignition switch it may be bad causing this. Also if it doesn't do it cold and shifts fine then it's a transproblem like a cracked case/valve body.

tommytrue

September, 19, 2013 AT 10:27 AM

I checked the connections at the transmission and the connections seem to be ok. The transmision is always in third gear but it seems to me that when the key turns back to the off position properly it shifts fine the next time I drive it.

tommytrue

September, 19, 2013 AT 10:31 AM

I have the floor shift model. Is there a switch or somthing at the shifter that controls the locking mechanism at the ignition

hmac300

September, 19, 2013 AT 12:03 PM

There is aone on fthe column but it sounds like your switch is bad. But this shold be replaced by a pro so you don' t screw up air bag system

Retloc71

July, 29, 2015 AT 10:45 AM

Hey man, my mileage is within a miles of yours and I am experiencing exactly the problems you were having. Did you ever find the root of the cause? I can't find anything on this problem except for here aND I'd really appreciate any suggestions.

Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Automatic Transmission Service
Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz