1997 Buick Lesabre won't start when engine warm

UDUFFUS
  • 1997 BUICK LESABRE
Have a 1997 Buick LeSabre that will not start when the engine is at operating temp. If driven for more that a couple of miles, will stall & not restart. Engine temperature is in the 185 degree range (+/- a couple of degrees). Had a code for the ECM. Replaced it and that code disappeared & hasn't returned. New plugs, wires, fuel filter, air filter, etc. Replaced the key (not sure why, I wouldn't think it would make a difference whether the engine was warm or not.) Running outta money to throw at this thing. Any ideas?
Sunday, November 27th, 2011 AT 7:26 PM

When the problem occurs, if it cranks good but won't start, have a helper crank it, while you visually check for spark at the plugs. Also check for an injector pulse. You can carry a spark tester in glove-box, it won't get hot. Don't pull a spark plug from engine. Maybe you have an intermittent rpm signal, hard to tell without a little testing.
Sunday, November 27th, 2011 AT 7:43 PM
UDUFFUS
I have a great spark but I went ahead & replaced the 3 coils. No change. I replaced the fuel pump. Still same symptoms. Have been searching the internet for suggestions. Read that the Temp Sensor" could be the issue. Or the "Crankshaft Position Sensor" or the "Camshaft Position Sensor" or the MAPP Sensor or the.
Bought crank & cam position sensors but, wow, what a pain it seems to replace. Not looking forward to pulling the harmonic balancer. Think either of these could be the issue or.
Saturday, January 14th, 2012 AT 7:10 PM
Any applicable trouble codes? Did you use a gage and check fuel pressure?
Saturday, January 14th, 2012 AT 7:40 PM
UDUFFUS
No codes at all & the fuel pressure's great (new fuel pump)with the pressure at about 40 psi
Saturday, January 14th, 2012 AT 9:00 PM
I haven't looked up your thermostat, but, 185 sounds too cold to me. What is engine vin/litre size. My fuel pressure spec says 48--55psi, key on engine off.
Saturday, January 14th, 2012 AT 9:35 PM