PUZZLING RATTLING SOUND ONLY ON WET ROAD

• jakechicano
  • 1996 Toyota Corolla

In normal running condition the car runs perfectly fine, bumpy road or not. But when driving while it is raining, even on the sweetest road, completely leveled/flat road, I hear a continues thud sound (like shaking a shoe box with a stone inside) concentrated just under the hand break area, and I can feel it as well while holiding the gear (2nd, third, fourth, or fifth). And after just a few seconds of continued thud my engine would sound and feel as though it were towing something/climbing a very steep hill. All these disappears when I come to a stop. But as soon as the car runs again it comes back. All these when it is just raining/the road is really realy wet - not flooded. Local mechanic checked all the moving parts underneath and found no cause for the mysterious continuing sound. Please help.

Friday, October 28th, 2011 AT 5:55 AM

• mhpautos

Where the engine mounts checked?

Friday, October 28th, 2011 AT 8:25 AM
  • jakechicano

If you dont mind me asking, why does the problem appear only when the car is running on wet roads? Please enlighten me. Thank you.

Friday, October 28th, 2011 AT 10:22 AM
  • mhpautos

At this stage I have no idea, I am thinking it over.

Friday, October 28th, 2011 AT 10:37 AM
  • jakechicano

Thank you and I hope we could solve the problem, im just afraid that the car will stop in the middle of nowhere, with the rain pouring and all, with my kid inside. Every father's nightmare I guess. Please keep me posted. Thank you so much.

Friday, October 28th, 2011 AT 11:08 AM
  • mhpautos

Does the noise alter with breaking and is it rhythmical and constant with road speed.

Friday, October 28th, 2011 AT 11:14 AM
  • jakechicano

Situation when road is wet. From full stop, noise starts to appear at third gear with the thud at half a second interval and continue to do so as the car runs with even shorter intervals, when I step on the breaks the noise disappears only when the car is already at full stop. If I continue to run the vehicle with the noise still present, then the engine will start to rev hard like im climbing on a very steep road. I've been to four local mechanics, none can guess what the problem. I began to think its the catalytic converter, which might be boiling when is wet by the road until one mechanic said my car model does not have one. Anyway, I just thought you guys might have the answer. I hope we would. Thanks again.

Friday, October 28th, 2011 AT 11:34 AM
  • jakechicano

Went to a local mechanic again today. He says it is the clutch disc or something that is causing the noise and the engine to rev up. That we need to replace it.

Saturday, October 29th, 2011 AT 4:36 AM