96 OBD CODE P0420 HELP!?

1996 Toyota Camry

whefrs

May, 22, 2012 AT 10:05 AM

96 Toyota Camry OBD Code P0420 Help?
Hey everyone so I have a '96 camry and I went to autozone to use their codereader and I got code P0420 Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1). Car is running fine. Now here's where it gets tricky the check engine light that prompted me to get the code in the first place turned on after I started using a Griffin Itrip/charger. In addition to the Check Engine Light, my power locks will also stop functioning after I remove my key from the engine, i.E. I have to manually lock my car everytime I go somewhere. Mind you all this began once I started using the itrip. Do you think the p0420 might be tied to it? Or is it all a coincidence?

P0420 Cat Converter

merlin2021

May, 22, 2012 AT 11:01 AM

What is an ittrip charger?

Wrenchtech

May, 22, 2012 AT 12:47 PM

The PO420 merely means your Catalytic Converter is not chemically doing what it's supposed to. This does not effect engine performance in any way unless the Converter is plugged up too.

Wrenchtech

May, 23, 2012 AT 1:29 AM

A bad 0/2 won't cause that code.

Catalytic Converter Replacement Volkswagen
Coolant Temperature Sender Replacement
Oxygen Sensor Replacement Dodge Stratus
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Replacement