96 TOYOTA CAMRY OBD CODE P0420 HELP!?

• whefrs
  • 1996 Toyota Camry

96 Toyota Camry OBD Code P0420 Help?
Hey everyone so I have a '96 camry and I went to autozone to use their codereader and I got code P0420 Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1). Car is running fine. Now here's where it gets tricky the check engine light that prompted me to get the code in the first place turned on after I started using a Griffin Itrip/charger. In addition to the Check Engine Light, my power locks will also stop functioning after I remove my key from the engine, i.E. I have to manually lock my car everytime I go somewhere. Mind you all this began once I started using the itrip. Do you think the p0420 might be tied to it? Or is it all a coincidence?

Tuesday, May 22nd, 2012 AT 10:05 AM

• merlin2021

What is an ittrip charger?

Tuesday, May 22nd, 2012 AT 11:01 AM
  • Wrenchtech

The PO420 merely means your Catalytic Converter is not chemically doing what it's supposed to. This does not effect engine performance in any way unless the Converter is plugged up too.

Tuesday, May 22nd, 2012 AT 12:47 PM
  • Wrenchtech

A bad 0/2 won't cause that code.

Wednesday, May 23rd, 2012 AT 1:29 AM