1996 Taurus GL Wiring what is this?

RDARLIN2
  • 1996 FORD TAURUS
  • RWD

I have a Taurus that was parked for a period of time, that had squirrels nest under the hood - they ate some of the wiring and I want to know what the affected part is called so that I can replace it myself (if possible).

The included image is from another post dealing with the EGR valve - disregard that. There are three sets of 2-wires coming out of a wiring harness, that look as if they are plugged into the valve cover? I've identified these by circling in red. What 'part' do I need to replace to replace that includes these three sets of wires?

Rich

Tuesday, April 22nd, 2014 AT 9:13 AM

2CARPROS KEN

The parts in questions are the fuel injectors, you will need an injector harness. Please let us know if you need anything else.

Thanks for using 2carpros. Com

Tuesday, April 22nd, 2014 AT 9:35 AM
RDARLIN2

Thanks for the quick reply.

I am unable to find a 'fuel injector harness' for this vehicle on the internet. Could it be called something else?

Rich

Tuesday, April 22nd, 2014 AT 10:45 AM
2CARPROS KEN

The fuel injector harness can be included into the engine harness, is there a chance you can simply repair the harness, Ford sells the connector ends which can be spliced in.

Wednesday, April 23rd, 2014 AT 9:45 PM
RDARLIN2

I think splicing in new FI connectors is the way to go - I only have to do 3 of the 6.

Searching on the internet the pigtail type connectors would be needed, since the existing wiring is in terrible shape.

References are made to soldering the old wire to the new pigtail wire, then covering the splice with shrink-wrap tubing.

Do you know of other types of electrical wiring splice I can use, since I don't have a soldering gun and not sure if I would make a good connection. Are there kits out there that would include a crimp style splice that would include the shrink wrap? Would a crimp style splice be OK?

Before I buy the connectors, I'll pull one of the affected connectors off and ensure the pigtail matches. Not just assume the vendor labeled it right.

Rich

Thursday, April 24th, 2014 AT 9:28 AM
2CARPROS KEN

Yes, that would be the way to go on that, the direction the wires are connected to the injector irrelevant. Please let me know how it turns out, it fun fixing stuff :-)

Best, Ken

Thursday, April 24th, 2014 AT 7:58 PM