1996 Saturn SL1 Starts and dies

ELLISONE
  • 1996 SATURN SL1
Have a 1996 saturn very hard to start and when it does it runs very rough for about thirty seconds and then dies car has been sitting for a while but put in fresh gas where and battery is hot also cranks normal. Where might I start looking first. Thanks
Thursday, October 6th, 2011 AT 2:08 AM

The battery shouldn't get hot unless you are cranking the engine for a long time. As far as the engine, it could be several things. Has the check engine light come on?
Thursday, October 6th, 2011 AT 2:10 AM
SATURNTECH9
How long has it been sitting?If its not bad gas you could have a bad coolant temp sensor and connector fuel pump issue which I kinda doubt. Do you have a multimeter to do some testing?
Thursday, October 6th, 2011 AT 2:22 AM
ELLISONE
Car has been sitting for year and a half and I have a multimeter
Thursday, October 6th, 2011 AT 10:03 AM
SATURNTECH9
Wow a year and half how did you get all the old gas out?How much old gas was in the tank?Dont tell me you just added new gas to the old gas and hoped for the best?
Thursday, October 6th, 2011 AT 4:33 PM
ELLISONE
All old gas out of tank and new fuel put in, you can hear fuel pump come on (have not tested pressure yet) sprayed starting fluid in TB and car started for a few seconds and died tried to restart without success. Plan to put in more fuel tomorrow, check pump pressure and check filter also injectors and I have replaced all plugs and checked all wires all where good.
Friday, October 7th, 2011 AT 4:44 AM
SATURNTECH9
Did you make sure all the wires were correctly routed on the coil towers and not mixed up?That would cause a not start. Also try this after trying to start it again if your unsucessful try holding the gas pedal all the way to the floor while trying to start it. Also do you have a multimeter?I suspect you could have a bad coolant temp sensor and possible a bad connector to it. Keep me posted on what you find.
Friday, October 7th, 2011 AT 4:58 AM