CAR TRIES TO START BUT WONT CATCH

• Dorsey Cole
  • 1996 Pontiac Grand Am

Acts like not hitting on all cylinder, auto scanner wont even light up, scans fine other 1996 pontiac grand prix.

I have a 1996 Pontiac Grand Am with a 3100, engine and 13800 miles, been well taken care of, the car tries to start but just will not catch, acts like not hitting on all cylinders, I have replaced the front three plugs but have to wait till I can move car to get the the three rear, I am getting fuel, at least to the fuel rail, I put an auto scanner on the car and it would not even power up, no code no nothing,

I put same scanner on 1996 3800, Grand Prix and the scanner worked fine, why cant I get anything out of scanner and why wont car start, Have not checked for full fire from coil pack yet, Old front plugs were almost completely gone, Electrods worn badly.

HELP PLEASE

Tuesday, July 31st, 2012 AT 12:46 AM

• saturntech9

You probably have a blown fuse thats why the scan tool wont power up off the connector. Check the 15amp fuse in the inside fuse box labeled HRN that powers up your scan tool off the obd2 connector. Lets start by seeing if you can get some codes out of the computer and go from there.

Tuesday, July 31st, 2012 AT 1:05 AM
  • Dorsey Cole

Do you have any tips on getting to the 3 rear plugs to replace, this car does not have the dogbone mounts like the grand prix 3800. I made those mounts for years at GM when I worked there, ive benn told I might be able to remove the coil pack to get to them, any help would be wonderful, and I will make sure I donate on the 1st, as I am retired and get paid on the 1st of each month, please help, you have been the best I have talked to, thank you

Tuesday, July 31st, 2012 AT 1:20 AM
  • saturntech9

I have replaced some plugs on those engines a while ago there is a torque strut front mount somewhere on the engine. Pop the mount loose and see if you can tilt the engine with a ratcheting tie down. As far as you donating at the begining of the month thank you in advance if you could please donate on the question that way I will get credit for it. Also lets see if we can get some codes please post the exact code numbers and not the code descriptions.

Tuesday, July 31st, 2012 AT 2:31 AM