HEAD GASKET

1996 Pontiac Grand Am

miles hubbard

February, 28, 2014 AT 1:05 PM

This 96 grand am 2.4 had a new head gasket put on it. It never ran since. I have been employed to fix it. First off the timing chain was off a combined about 7 teeth. I set it right and still did not start. Tested spark and found spark plug boots needed replaced. Replaced them and it ran for about 10 seconds then made a metal clunk/grinding noise and I immediately shut it off. Would not start again after this but turns over just fine. I have pulled the head off again expecting bent valves but by looking at them they don't seem that bad. However, they are rusted a bit on the bottom side. Before pulling the head a compression test came back as 3 cylinders having between 30 and 40 psi and 1 with 120. When it ran for that 10 seconds it sounded good. What should I be looking for to get this thing going again? Thanks a bunch!

hmac300

March, 1, 2014 AT 6:31 AM

Look for bent valve, remove them from the head and roll on stem you should see them bent. No compression means it won't run.

Replacing Head Gasket
Spark Plug Replacement Toyota Corolla 2000-20