1996 gran am gt

KENNETH POSTON
  • 1996 PONTIAC GRAND AM
Where is the computer located?
Sunday, November 28th, 2010 AT 4:55 PM

There are many. Unless someone sets me straight, I seem to recall the Engine Computer is inside the passenger compartment, on the firewall to the right of the gas pedal. If it's not there, look behind the right kick panel just in front of the door.

Sunday, November 28th, 2010 AT 5:01 PM
KENNETH POSTON
Thanks for the info. I'll check it out. Maybe you can help me with this; parked car, was running good, next morn it would only start and stop immediatly. Start and stop. I have checked the fuel pump, filter, air lines, even replaced the fuel regulator, it still starts and stops immed. Any suggestions? K. Poston@insightbb. Com
Sunday, November 28th, 2010 AT 5:11 PM
Sounds like the anti-theft system is cutting off the fuel. GM anti-theft systems are very effective at keeping owners out of their cars.

Try this. Turn the ignition switch on, try to start the engine for just a second, relax the switch right away but leave it on for at least ten minutes until the "security" light goes off. Turn the ignition switch off, then right back to on for another ten minutes, Don't crank the engine. Do that again a third time for another ten minutes, then without turning it off first, try to start the engine.

I hope I have that right. I read this procedure a lot from other people having the same problem. Another common problem is broken wires in the steering column for the Pass Lock sensor.

Sunday, November 28th, 2010 AT 6:32 PM