1996 Nissan Pathfinder Idle and starting problem

NO-WHEELS
  • 1996 NISSAN PATHFINDER
  • 190 MILES
My 1996 Nissan Pathfinder wont stay started and stalls out immediately. I have replaced the distributor, which also replaces the Cam Postition Sensor, since it is built in the distributor. I have also replaced the Mass Air Flow Sensor, fuel filter and had a fuel pressure check done. I also had a computer diagnostic test done. It showed some faults. Knock sensor problem bank #1 - also O2 sensor B2S2 problem - also O2 sensor B1S1 heater problem. Will the O2 sensor problems cause it not to start now? It turns over and barely starts or idles for a second or 2 then stalls out. Need HELP. Thanks.
Thursday, August 1st, 2013 AT 12:06 PM

Check fuel pressure first
Friday, August 2nd, 2013 AT 7:30 AM
NO-WHEELS
Thank you, but I did that already. Showed 35 psi. I have no dash lights showing. It all started with it bucking and stuttering one day at certain speed or after car was warmed up and reached it's normal running temp.

After reading blogs, I have replaced the distributor, because I found metal shavings which indicates wear which also replaces the Cam Postition Sensor at the same time, since it is built in the distributor. I have also replaced the Mass Air Flow Sensor, fuel filter and had a fuel pressure check done and read 35 pounds of pressure.

I also had a computer diagnostic test done. It showed some faults. Knock sensor problem bank #1 - also O2 sensor B2S2 problem - also O2 sensor B1S1 heater problem. Not sure where to go from here, since money is tight and I cant afford to do process of elimination anymore.

When I start it, runs extremely rough as if it were out of time. After installing the distributor, it ran perfect until it I ran it to the store and it warmed up. Then started acting up again. So I am stumped and still without wheels.
Friday, August 2nd, 2013 AT 10:41 AM
MINIMUM fuelpressure is 43psi you don't have enough
Friday, August 2nd, 2013 AT 1:00 PM
NO-WHEELS
Thanks again for responding. So 43psi is minimum? Can it be my fuel regulator relay cutting out sporadically?
And can it cause my pathfinder to run extremely rough with no power at all? I started it yesterday but was really running extremely bad and heard a few popping noises in my filter box. I would hate to buy a new fuel pump and go through the work of replacing it as it is in the gas tank and then find that it wasn't the fuel pump. Thanks for helping me and I would appreciate your advice, since I am on a minimal income and disabled. I am so discouraged right now and feel lost. Chris Btw, nice motorcycle you have in your pic.
Friday, August 2nd, 2013 AT 2:04 PM
The 1613/14 code is yor air inection pump driver or pump solenoid on the secondary pump this could be very well to having installed the performance chip in yur vehicle. It is the driver and or the solenoid and sthis should be checked by a professional so he can scan it and turn things on and off awhich you are unable to do with your scanner to test the driver as well as solenoids. Have a pro test this but the fault cold lie with your chip you installed.
Friday, August 2nd, 2013 AT 8:00 PM
Sorry I sent the wrong reply for another vehicle.43 is the bare minimum for pressure you need to check with a gauge I don't think it's the regulator probably the fuel pump. It would cause all the mentioned problems.
Friday, August 2nd, 2013 AT 8:04 PM
NO-WHEELS
No problem with the wrong reply, lol. I'm sure your quite busy helping many. Thanks again for your suggestion. What else can I do at this point, lol. Before I do this though, I will check one more time with gauge and see what the pressure is at idle. Should the pressure go higher when revving the rpm's? Thanks for help. Don't mean to ask too many question's. Chris
Friday, August 2nd, 2013 AT 8:39 PM
That is the pressure and when the engine is shut off it should hold that pressure for 5 minutes it may go higher when you rev it. But the spec we get is at idle.
+2
Saturday, August 3rd, 2013 AT 5:19 AM
CMCDES
I realize this is an old thread but when I had the issue of random stalling on my 1996 Pathfinder, the forums were of little help. Lots of problems and few reported solutions. Random stalling is usually the Mass Airflow Sensor. I tested mine by pressing and wiggling while the car was running. This caused an immediate stall every time. I found one online for $60 and the stalling has been eliminated. The other problem I had was hard starting of the wear your starter out variety. This is a VERY common problem and many have wasted a small fortune with dealers and repair facilities and not fixed the problem. Timing belts stretch over time and in my case the timing was way off. I solved the very hard starting problem in 5 minutes and the solution didn't cost anything. Loosen the distributor hold down bolt and turn your distributor about a 1/4" to 1/2" CLOCKWISE.
Monday, December 21st, 2015 AT 1:46 PM