I HAVE TO PUT THE CAR IN NEUTRAL TO START.

1996 Mercedes Benz E320

rftbx

September, 29, 2011 AT 4:32 PM

Where is the bushing located and it's name to replace? My car will not start. No click or anything. I have full power. When I put the car in neutral and step on the brakes it starts and runs fine. I read through a blog that the problem is an inexpensive bushing but I don't know where it's located or the bushing's name to buy a replacement.

rivermikerat

September, 29, 2011 AT 11:44 PM

It is most likely the safety switch. This is located on the left rear of the transmission.

Without knowing what bushing you're talking about, it's pretty near impossible to tell. It COULD be one of the bushings in the transmission shift linkage.

Lift all 4 wheels if you can, have someone move the shifter through the gears, with the engine off, so you can see the direction of motion. Have the in-car helper put the transmission in Park. Turn the shifter on the side of the transmission whichever way is away from Reverse. Slide out and have the helper try and start it. If it starts, the bushing is either on the transmission side, or the shifter lever side.

rivermikerat

September, 29, 2011 AT 11:44 PM

Oh, transmission linkage bushing is what I call it.

rftbx

September, 30, 2011 AT 2:36 AM

So testing my understanding of your claim that it's near impossible to tell I assume their can be more than 1 bushing that could cause the car to not start?

rivermikerat

September, 30, 2011 AT 3:20 AM

There is more than one bushing that can cause the Park/Neutral safety switch to not engage properly. There should be 2 or 3 bushings in the various pieces of the linkage that can wear out and cause excess play between the two pieces being connected. One is between the shift lever and the arm that runs to the transmission. There may be a pivot point that also has a bushing. There is also one at the shift rod to the shifter arm on the transmission.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe