EXCESSIVE VIBRATION FEELS ITS GOING TO STALL

• Brad_jenny84@hotmail.com
  • 1996 Hyundai Accent

1996 Hyundai accent excessive vibration, feels its going to stall. Sometimes have to rest foot on accelerator and it stops the engine shaking. Cant notice when driving only when stationary. Have replaced fuel filter, cleaned throttle body, major service and tune and has no fault codes. Any ideas?

Monday, January 9th, 2012 AT 1:48 PM

• KHLow2008

Seems the idling speed is too low. Did you clean the IAC? It is not attached to the throttle body and is the main item for idle control.

Monday, January 9th, 2012 AT 3:32 PM
  • Brad_jenny84@hotmail.com

Havent done that yet, when I turn the key over it doesnt make any sound from the fuel pump, with this model should it make the sound of the fuel pump turning on when I turn the key?

Tuesday, January 10th, 2012 AT 1:44 AM
  • KHLow2008

Not all vehicles primes the fuel system when ignition is turned on and if I am not mistaken, Hyundai does not have this feature. The fuel pump would only prime when engine is started or while cranking.

As long as you don't have problem starting the engine, you need not be worried about this.

Tuesday, January 10th, 2012 AT 2:12 PM
  • Brad_jenny84@hotmail.com

Hi, I cleaned out the IAC valve today, it had a bit of build up but not much, gave it a good clean tho. The car still vibrates and feels like it wants to stall. I'm guessing it cant be a sensor if it has no fault codes? I've also had the injectors checked when I got the service. Any other ideas? Thanks

Wednesday, January 11th, 2012 AT 2:00 AM
  • KHLow2008

What is the idling speed?

Wednesday, January 11th, 2012 AT 12:34 PM
  • Brad_jenny84@hotmail.com

It doesnt have a tacho so i'm not sure but it seems to idle normally it just coughs and vibrates and wants to stall frequently. I took it to hyundai dealership about 4 weeks ago and they hooked it up to their computer and adjusted the idle and checked leads, plugs, fuel injectors etc but couldnt find anything wrong with it. Then a week after I took it to a different mechanics and got a major service and new fuel filter and new air filter and they checked the idle and everything and they said it was a dirty throttle body so they cleaned it out and it was okay for a day or so then it started happening again. I then took it to a third mechanic who went over everything and hooked it up to their computer but go no codes, they said it was the throttle body and that the previous mechanic hadnt cleaned arount to rim of the butterfly, they cleaned it and told me to drive 80km in distance to reset the computer. I done that but problem was happening still. It also has had the timing belt replaced about 2000km's ago and today I cleaned out the IAC valve. So it idles fine when I start the car up then a few minutes into the drive as soon as I pull up somewhere the problem starts happening.

Wednesday, January 11th, 2012 AT 1:14 PM
  • KHLow2008

Seems the idling speed is not constant causing the problem. Check for vacuum leaks and there is possibility the IAC is sticking causing erratic idling.

Hope no adjustment had been made on the speed adjustment screw as it is factory set and any tampering can cause idling problems.

Wednesday, January 11th, 2012 AT 4:24 PM
  • Brad_jenny84@hotmail.com

I havent had the vacuum hoses checked yet but now when I start my car it has noisy injector sound that its never had before. Would this be related or possibly the problem making it shudder and want to stall?

Friday, January 13th, 2012 AT 4:10 PM
  • KHLow2008

Yes, that is possible. That could mean misfirings and erratic idling.

Friday, January 13th, 2012 AT 5:24 PM