Why won't my car start after having installed a brand new starter?

• 1996 HONDA CIVIC

I own a '96 Honda Civic Ex 4 cly, 2 door. One day I went to start the car and it did this sluggish thing but never started. I thought I needed a jump. Turns out the battery is fine. I took it to the Honda dealership and had a new starter put in (it was cheaper to buy the part for them but more convenient to have them install it). That was Friday morning. Car ran like a champ all weekend. Sunday night, I'm leaving work and it is doing that same sluggish start up. AGAIN, but never actually start up. I could not even pop the clutch and start it that way. Please, PLEASE tell me what's wrong with this thing! My main job is 8 minutes driving 1 hour walking, but my part time job is 30 miles away. Its bad enough that because I didn't buy Honda's part I have to pay them $100 just to look at it again.*Bummer. You can email me at grantdaddy1@live. Com with that answer.

Monday, September 10th, 2012 AT 7:45 AM

If the starter is cranking slowly, you need to check the battery teminal and ground circuit connections.

If a jump start does not help, it could be the starter itself that is faulty (reman units are not 100 % trustworthy).

If a bump start did not help, that can mean a bad ignition switch. Are all dash indicator lights showing?

It could also be due to engine mechanical faults.

Monday, September 10th, 2012 AT 8:22 AM