SPEEDOMETER

1996 Honda Civic

SWEED

December, 19, 2013 AT 11:27 AM

Hello. I have a 1996 CIVIC. Speedometer is fluctuating everywhere. No check engine light is on, no blown fuses. Car runs fine and all electrical components work, PW PDL, Cruise control etc. Just a crazy speedometer and odometer does not work. 2 days ago, the speedometer started working suddenly and the odometer also started working at the same time. This lasted till I switched the car off. Later that day when I drove it again, both were not working once again.I have read forums and a lot of posts about this problem and solutions range from bad alternators to bad VSS to instrument cluster to faulty wiring to bad groundetc. Is there any logic to "if this is doing this, then it is this", or are we just shooting in the dark as to what the problem may be? It seems to me that it could only be a few things that would cause this. I would appreciate any input. Thanks.

Erratic Speedometer

Speedometer

hmac300

December, 19, 2013 AT 1:24 PM

Have it scanned to see if the vss is bad, if you think it's an alternator have it tested bu tit may need a fan belt and tensioner if alternator is good.

Instrument Cluster Replacement GMC Yukon
Coolant Temperature Sender Replacement