TRANSMISSION

1996 Honda Accord

zemorzemor

October, 6, 2013 AT 7:38 PM

The splines of the differential where the axles goes in have a lot of play. Is it normal if not what should I replace the transmission its a BOYA. I have a 96 Honda accord 2.2 liters

caradiodoc

October, 6, 2013 AT 8:50 PM

What's a BOYA? Some play is normal in the inner cv joint. The housing is held in the transmission with an internal spring. If you can slide that joint in and out an inch or two very easily, that's when you have a problem. It should slide in smoothly under hard hand pressure, then spring back out by itself.

zemorzemor

October, 6, 2013 AT 9:17 PM

I could not understand what did you say. BOYA is what the transmission is called. When I put my finger inside the differential where the axle goes in the splines of the differential moves a lot.

caradiodoc

October, 6, 2013 AT 9:45 PM

Was the half-shaft causing a problem? Why did you remove it? I suspect you're feeling normal movement in the small gears that are part of the differential. Those are what are splined to engage the half-shaft.

zemorzemor

October, 8, 2013 AT 12:14 AM

Ok
few days ago I saw transmission fluid on the drive way it came from the passenger side drive shaft. I took off the passenger shaft and I saw wear marks on the end of the drive shaft where it goes inside the differential. So somebody told me its the bearing because the spline of the differential has a lot of play

caradiodoc

October, 8, 2013 AT 1:39 AM

Dandy. Before you waste any money on something that might not be needed, take the shaft to a Honda mechanic and have them inspect it. Out of 100 cars that leak transmission fluid from a half shaft, 99 are going to have nothing more than a worn seal. Those are about five bucks. The metal parts, including everything with splines, are hardened steel. I've never seen those parts fail, and if there was excessive wear, you would have had some noticeable vibration before this. I'm hoping you're finding a problem where there rally isn't one.

zemorzemor

October, 8, 2013 AT 10:03 AM

But the differential spline are loose I can hear them when I put my finger inside the splines is that normal? And there is friction marks on the end of the drive shaft

caradiodoc

October, 8, 2013 AT 10:32 PM

I'd feel better if you had a mechanic look at the parts. There very well could be something wrong there, but until I see it myself, I'm betting you just have a bad seal. If you reach inside the differential to that splined gear, that will move around. There's just the teeth of two mating gears holding it in place while the half shaft is out. You'll see two machined and polished surfaces on the inner cv joint next to its splines. The smaller diameter one rides on a bushing and there will still be some play there between the cv joint and that bushing. The larger diameter surface is where the lip seal rides. That seal is flexible enough to move around and follow the cv joint as it wobbles. If there's leakage there, there's one of two causes. The seal has become dry-rotted and / or hardened from age and heat, and it has cracked, or that bushing has been chewed up. I've never actually run into a chewed-up bushing. There would likely be no damage to the cv joint because that surface is hardened, but the bushing is made of very soft metal and you would feel the roughness, and you'd find a pile of gold metal flakes when you wipe your finger inside. Many bushings have oiling grooves in them. Don't let those fool you into thinking that's damage or wear.

With excessive wobble from a worn bushing, the cv joint can move far enough away from the lip seal to allow it to leak, but you would most likely also feel a vibration at certain speeds. Rotating parts that wobble have a "resonant frequency" they like to vibrate at, just like the pendulum on a grandfather's clock. At anything other than that rotational speed the shaft or joint is less likely to vibrate. Hit that magic speed though and you'll feel it. That much wobble would cause quite a bit of fluid leakage while you were driving, and usually less leakage standing still.

If you can see into the center of the seal. Try to see if here's any cracks in the rubber. If you see any, the rubber is hardened and brittle. Pop a new one in and the leak should stop.

zemorzemor

October, 9, 2013 AT 8:22 PM

I will show you pictures of the smaller surface diameter of the inner end of the cv axle how it looks like.
However I took of the transmission from the car and I disassembled it.I could take off one of the baring of the differential by hand and put it back what this tell you please?

zemorzemor

October, 9, 2013 AT 9:58 PM

zemorzemor

October, 9, 2013 AT 10:00 PM

Pulling an Auto Trans? Easy Instructions
Drive Shaft Removal - All Cars
Clutch/Flywheel/Rear Main Seal Replacement