1996 GMC Sonoma stalling while driving

MOSLOF1988
  • 1996 GMC SONOMA
96 gmc sonoma 2 w/d 2.2l 4 cylinder So I can start the vehicle and run it for 10 miles, then it shuts down, nothing. All electronics work, turns over, but you wait between 10-30 minutes and it startys up again, but you wont get but maybe 4-5 miles then it does the same thing. I have replaced fuel pump, fuel filter, Oil pressure sensor, coils, ignition control module, checked the grounds to body, block, frame, I thought maybe it was the CAT, so I took the o2 sensor out still stalled. Whats funny, this is why I thought it was the ignition control module, is you can dump water on the module and it will fire up, Im at a loss, could it be the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor? And what about a plugged cat, would taking out the o2 sensor help determine if that it was plugged or not. Also no codes are being displayed before, after, during, nothing. And there is no check engine and no warning sign that its going tom stall, except maybe it gets a lil rough idling but very little, oh I also replaced spark plugs. Thanks help me before I set thyis bastard ablaze, so damn frustrating
Tuesday, August 26th, 2014 AT 4:11 PM

Have you checked for trouble codes? Have you checked the crank sensor?
Tuesday, August 26th, 2014 AT 5:47 PM
MOSLOF1988
No codes, during a stall, after or before. But why would the crankcase position sensor be the problem if while the vehicle is stalled, I can take a jug of water and dump it on that ignition control module and it will fire up? Thats what I dont understand. And since I posted last, I installed a new thermostat (because the other one was just old) and I replaced the engine coolant temperature sensor. Now after replacing the ECT sensor, I have noticed increased driving distances in between stalls, and lot shorter downtimes while it is stalled. Instead of average 15-20 min. It sometimes will fire up before I even stop coasting, but other times it could take 5-10 minutes. But it is an improvement, but Im still at a loss here
+1
Wednesday, August 27th, 2014 AT 8:40 PM
I understand what you are saying. You need to get a scanner and when it won't start, check to see if there is a signal from the crank sensor. I have seen them crack and when the get hot, they expand and the vehicle has a loss of spark.
+1
Thursday, August 28th, 2014 AT 7:22 AM
MOSLOF1988
Its fixed, finally, Now it could of been a combination of things or one thing. But I took out the Crankcase position sensor, and it was gummed up good, I cleaned it up and reinserted it, As I was doing that I noticed a couple drops of oil trickling down the block, the oil pressure sensor had oil coming out the male end of the plug, So I took that out and replaced it. I drove it home that evening (34 miles total) but it was at night so I had no way of knowing if the issue was fixed. Today I racked off 145 miles of stall free driving. I almost nutted. Since I bought this truck 5 weeks ago, thats the first time Ive been able to drive it without stalling. Now I think I know why when I put water on the ignition control module that it would fire up, my theory is this, the module was probably fine, but since the crankcase position sensor sits right next to the module, it was the part that when cooled down allowed the car to operate not the module. So all in all to get this problem fixed I installed a fuel pump, fuel filter, oil pressure sensor, engine coolant temp. Sensor, Air intake sensor, thermostat, spark plugs, ignition control module, coils, crankcase position sensor, fuel pump relay, cleaned the catalytic converter, re wired all grounds and pulled my hair out and cursed this truck to no end, but its running and damn fine I might add. But to be honest, im not sure what the fix really was, the oil pressure sensor, or the crankcase position sensor. So thanks for the help, but atleast I got the ignition control module and the coils for free, that was a huge savings.
Friday, August 29th, 2014 AT 8:39 PM
Glad it's fixed.
+1
Saturday, August 30th, 2014 AT 7:18 PM