WHICH POSITION DOES PIN GO IN ON CAM PULLEY - I OR E

1996 Geo Tracker

pruden_mark@yahoo.com

April, 7, 2012 AT 8:15 PM

On 96 geo tracker. 1.6 L 16 valve, single overhead cam, I removed cam pulley, need to re-install to cam. Do I put cam pulley on I or E?

Installing Oh Cams In 2.5

April, 7, 2012 AT 8:29 PM

There should be only one way the gear goes as it should set on a key on the cam.

pruden_mark@yahoo.com

April, 7, 2012 AT 8:33 PM

There are actually two slotted keyhole marks on this cam - one has an I next to it, one has an E

April, 7, 2012 AT 8:34 PM

The I is for intake and the E is for Exhaust. It is a reference for which stroke the engine is on at that top mark. The compression stroke is the I and overlap is the E.

pruden_mark@yahoo.com

April, 7, 2012 AT 8:37 PM

They each have a notch, though, both exactly the same and will fit on either way, but in an effort not to ruin the engine. Trying to find which notch the pin should go on to the cam pulley to the cam

pruden_mark@yahoo.com

April, 7, 2012 AT 8:42 PM

Here is a pic of the cam pulley.

April, 7, 2012 AT 8:43 PM

You have to determine the position of the cam, whether it is on compression or valve over lap. You need someone familiar with camshafts, after you remove the valve cover, to tell you which stroke it is on.

pruden_mark@yahoo.com

April, 7, 2012 AT 10:16 PM

The pin on the cam is on the same spot on every cam so that means that the cam pully will be in the same spot on every one of this motors im asking witch pin hole does it go in it has to be in the same one on every one of this motors I sent pic please look at it

April, 7, 2012 AT 10:30 PM

Once again, the notch on the gear for the timing marks are not 180 apart. If you use the worng one, you will time the motor wrong and if it is an interference motor, you could bend valves. The position of the cam must be at tdc compression and the mark should be straight up. I mean the notch on the gear by the teeth.

pruden_mark@yahoo.com

April, 7, 2012 AT 10:41 PM

Im not looking to put timming belt on im looking to install cam pully to cam sorry for ur incovienence

April, 7, 2012 AT 10:43 PM

Not inconvience. Trying to make sure you put it on correctly so the car runs good and not cause other issues.

Camshaft Angle Sensor Replacement P0015
Engine Cylinder Compression Test - All Cars