I HAVE A 1996 FORD RANGER SUPER CAB 2

1996 Ford Ranger

cardetailer18

April, 8, 2013 AT 2:18 AM

I have a 1996 Ford Ranger Super Cab 2.3l 4 cyl. 5 speed truck. I have had the check engine light come on 4 times in the past 2 weeks and every time it was code P0401 or Exhaust Gas Recirculation Insufficient Flow. The truck wasn't running poorly, but I decided to change the EGR valve. Right after changing the EGR valve I started the truck and it was running roughly. I then changed the spark plugs and wires and it was still running roughly, so I put the old EGR valve back on and that didn't fix the problem either. I then put and EGR sensor on my truck and that didn't fix the problem either. I then drove it home from the shop and when it was idling in my driveway it was idling high and wouldn't ever go down. The fan was also not shutting off. What is wrong with my truck? Do I need to replace the EGR solenoid? What else could be the problem?

Egr Valve

Jacobandnickolas

April, 8, 2013 AT 2:21 AM

When you replaced the EGR, did you check to see if there was a carbon build up in the intake?

cardetailer18

April, 8, 2013 AT 2:23 AM

No I did not.

Jacobandnickolas

April, 8, 2013 AT 2:24 AM

Check that to see if there is blockage. Just remove it and check. Let me know what you find.

cardetailer18

April, 8, 2013 AT 2:26 AM

If there isn't any carbon build up what do I need to do next? It is a lot harder than it sounds to take off the EGR valve.

cardetailer18

April, 8, 2013 AT 2:27 AM

It also had code P1401 come on when I started it at one point during the repairs.

Jacobandnickolas

April, 8, 2013 AT 2:28 AM

I'm sure it is a pain. Make sure there are no vacuum leaks around the EGR