MY DIES IN HOT WEATHER, WON'T START FOR 1-2 HOURS, CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT IS CAUSING THIS?

1996 Ford Ranger

suzylee11663

June, 3, 2012 AT 12:15 AM

1996 Ford Ranger, 2.3 4 cyl, 300,000 plus miles, when accelerating, a/c stops blowing out of vents and blows out defroster vents. Also, when driving in hot weather, I can go about 30 to 50 miles, then it starts lugging down, backfires, eventually dies. Will crank, but will not start. I usually have to wait 1 to 2 hours (depending on air temp). It will finally start and run, but will do the same thing again until the air temperature cools off. Have replaced fuel pump, fuel filter, and checked catalytic converter. Checked for codes, found none.

June, 3, 2012 AT 1:37 AM

I would look at fuel pressure. If it is low, it could boil causing vapor lock

cadieman

June, 3, 2012 AT 2:24 AM

U have a vacuum leak some where. Check all the vacuum hoses if u cant find it. Get 2 cans of brake cleaner. Start under the hood spray all the vacuum hoses down when u find the leak you will hear the idle pick up while u spray it. We need to know what the fuel pressure is when it quits. Does it have spark when it quits? Will it try to start with starting fluid?

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement