No heat

• AWD

Hav a 1996 ford explorer and the heat went out so they said I need to replace the blendor. So they hav had it for awhile and I called today and he said he couldnt get the box apart to get the door out. I went down there and I see that you are able to take the box apart I see the tabs what else could this guy be missing I dont want him to break this or im out another 300 dollars

Friday, January 21st, 2011 AT 8:13 PM

Does he not have access to factory repair manuals?
Maybe the box does not need to come apart. Sometimes these things are tough to figure out without the right guidance. I don't have access to Ford factory service manuals.
I found information that leads me to believe, it may be easier to repair using an aftermarket kit called a, "Heater Treater". I looked at the box and I think you would have to bend the door and risk breaking the posts that the door swings on, which is probably what is broken now.

I think this is something to look into and maybe the easiest way to fix the problem. Hopefully the door can be sent back, but special order parts rarely can be refunded.
From what I have seen, I would try to flex the door and pop it into place. It would not hurt to do it on a hot day to reduce the possibility of breaking it. If you are stuck with it and can't get the Ford Factory Service manual instructions, you will have to way out the options.
Try to call the dealership it was purchased through and ask if they can print out the applicable pages from a service manual. You might have to do this as your mechanic will have little or no chance at getting help.
Some ammo you might use to get the pages copied;
I guess my question would be, "If the part is a Ford factory part, they would not sell it if it were not serviceable. They would sell the entire box."
I hope this helps. Let me know how it turns out.

Sunday, February 20th, 2011 AT 5:29 AM