PART LOCATION

1996 Dodge Ram

LoriBW

November, 29, 2010 AT 4:02 PM

96 dodge ram 2500 v10. Dies at idle speed in all gears although not consistently. Check engine light on and checked. Replaced MAP did not fix problem. Next throttle body intake tube. Could you tell me where located?

Dies On Idle

Wrenchtech

November, 29, 2010 AT 4:09 PM

The "check engine" light is an indicator for a system that monitors many electronic functions in the system, also called the "malfunction indicator lamp" (MIL). It can come on for any of hundreds of different causes from any of the systems that the computer monitors. Some are very important and can lead to further component or engine damage and some are emissions related not as serious but still a problem and need to be repaired.

Your first step is to have the computer scanned to retrieve the trouble codes that were set when the check engine light came on. Those codes will give you specific information about what the computer saw and will get you pointed in the right direction to find your problem. With a 1996 or newer and some 95 cars and you have an AutoZone or Advanced auto parts in your area, they will read them for free. Once you have these code numbers, we can be a lot more specific about what your problem may be.

LoriBW

November, 29, 2010 AT 4:23 PM

I did have the computer scanned! That is why tried MAP first according to code which did not fix the problem and the next code is for the throttle body intake hose which I would like to know where it is located so I can check that!

Wrenchtech

November, 29, 2010 AT 4:25 PM

Your probably misdiagnosing the problem. Having a code referring to a MAP sensor does not meant the MAP sensor is bad. I need exact code numbers

LoriBW

November, 29, 2010 AT 4:37 PM

OEM # to cross: P0107. AaMAP/BARO or MAF/VAF sensor condition. AaA11
probable cause. Aa1 vac hose off. Cracked etc. Aa2 throttle body intake tube loose off or cracked. Aa3 BARO/MAP defective. Aa4 VAF/MAF defective(this truck does not have one)

Wrenchtech

November, 29, 2010 AT 4:48 PM

The code specifically means that the computer is seeing MAP voltage lower than it's expecting. That can be for many different reasons including any of the wiring or the PCM itself.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right