96 Intrepid stalls while driving.

JASONLAWSON71
  • 1996 DODGE INTREPID
1996 Dodge Intrepid 3.3L stalls (vapor locks) while driving. Will start after cooling off. Only happens on very hot days. Could this be caused by the fuel pump becoming too hot and will replacing it make a difference? Had it pressure tested (tested good) and there are no error codes showing. Thanks for your help.
Tuesday, July 19th, 2011 AT 8:22 AM

Cars don't vapor lock anymore when they have pressurized systems. Some very common problems include a failing crankshaft position sensor and camshaft position sensor. They fail when they get hot and work again after cooling down for about an hour. When one fails, you'll find you have no spark AND no fuel pressure.
Tuesday, July 19th, 2011 AT 9:56 AM
JASONLAWSON71
If that was the case would the show up in the error codes during the diagnostic? My mechanic said he would have a hard time pinpointing the problem without the car acting up. Where should I start to remedy the problem? Thanks for your help!
Tuesday, July 19th, 2011 AT 11:59 AM
I'm all for leaving the mechanic out of the picture!

I mess with older Jeeps and Fords

Without a Check Engine light on or Stored Codes available, you are sorta stuck checking for spark and fuel, during the hiccup or immediately, hooking up some sorta "Real Time, Ride Around Diagnostic computer" and usually paying someone to do so........and doing without your rig, for days or more!

I'm not really up on computer rigs bigtime, but I get there, as need-be on my end.....but I'm learning

I do read thru a lot of stuff coming thru here

You symptoms are exactly like what caradiodoc has described as being associated with the Crankshaft Sensor (sometimes camshaft).....But most of the time, I see the Crankshhaft sensor being the fix!

Here's the sad thing, you will soon see the cost of this thing, and the ONE bolt holding it in place, and the wire connector you must remove from the old, and clip back onto the new!

If anybody on your end.....you, neighbor, buddy at work, the little girl next door! is capable of changing a spark plug, this task could probably be done in less than an hour......most of that time, "yakking about it!"

I do not know your car.....unless you must remove a major item to get to this "THING".....My 5 year old Grandson could probably do it!

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/PartSearchCmd?storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&pageId=partTypeList&suggestion=&actionSrc=Suggest&searchTerm=crankshaft+sensor

I do know it must be installed properly spaced, but the factory probably already helped you out with that!

As far as where to find it.............That what we can assist you with!

Ain't much going on, so I jumped on board to give you the Country Boy view of this.

caradiodoc, will guide you the rest of the way as far as installation Dos and Don'ts

Like I said, I'm not familiar with your car....I'm just tryin' to save you time and $$$

Let me know if you need "George" to come help you!.....I'll get him right over, after he finishes with my Army Jeep Trailer!

The Medic
Tuesday, July 19th, 2011 AT 2:28 PM
I really din't mean to send 2nd pic. This is the one that was supposed to go there!

The Medic
Tuesday, July 19th, 2011 AT 2:33 PM
JASONLAWSON71
Thank you so much for you help, CJ MEDEVAC. The crankshaft sensor will be in today and tomorrow is to be the hottest day so we should know shortly. Thanks again.
Tuesday, July 19th, 2011 AT 7:29 PM
This was all caradiodoc's diagnosing, he's the one who deserves the credit!

I just added flavor and motivation to it!

When you get it, talk to the parts man, who is not constantly texting someone. You know. The mature caring feller who will actually spend a little time explaining stuff!

Insure you know how to properly install this thing. Or return here and ask Doc how to do it.

Insure you return with wonderful news.

As we seldom get visitors, see little of the outside world, and have to eat with plastic eating utensils. Lol!

Please let us know, Doc fixed you!

The Medic
Tuesday, July 19th, 2011 AT 8:04 PM
JASONLAWSON71
So I installed the crankshaft position sensor. It was indeed just on screw. Took 20 minutes. However, all I did was put it in and tighten it up. Is there anything else I should have done? The following day I went on a trip an hour long trip each way. Was ok in the AM when cool but on the way home in the afternoon it stalled out again. It also seemed to be running rougher than it had been. Could this have something to do with install of the Crankshaft Position Sensor or should I move on and replace the camshaft sensor?
Thursday, July 28th, 2011 AT 4:40 AM
Original equipment sensors from the dealer use a thick paper spacer on the end to set the critical air gap. That spacer slides off the first time the engine is started. Most aftermarket sensors have a plastic rib molded to the end to set that gap. It partially wears down during engine operation. When that style is removed and reinstalled, the remaining rib is supposed to be cut off and a new paper spacer used.

When no spacer is used, if the sensor is pushed in as far as it will go, it can be broken from hitting on the flex plate. If it is spaced out too far it can cause intermittent loss of signal and stalling, usually after the engine warms up. There should be a diagnostic fault code stored in the Engine Computer related to that sensor.
Thursday, July 28th, 2011 AT 5:47 AM

Related Engine Stall While Driving Content