1996 Dodge Dakota windshield wipers not working

BRITTAFIRE
  • 1996 DODGE DAKOTA
Early one morning my wipers decided not to work. I can hear some noise like the motor is trying to work. I just replaced the motor and it still not working. I'm not sure if it is the switch that went bad. My question is how do I find out if it is the switch or not and if it is how do I go about replacing it.
Saturday, September 7th, 2013 AT 12:09 PM

Check to see if there is power to the wiper motor. If there is, the switch is doing its job. I would then recommend that you remove the cowl at the base of the windshield and check the wiper linkage to make sure nothing has jamed.
+2
Saturday, September 7th, 2013 AT 5:55 PM
MADMIKE1735
Having your original wiper motor go bad, it may have shorted, and blown a fuse. Before over thinking, check and verify your fuses are good. The combination switch is a bit costly.
Friday, September 13th, 2013 AT 8:28 PM
PAUL VERHIL
Tightening the mounting bolts holding the wiper motor in place on the firewall, especially the one with the metal "ground strap" did the trick for me. Now I take back the $65 buck combination light/ wiper steering column switch. Lesson: checking the grounding on older vehicle electrical problems is probably a smart idea!
Sunday, July 2nd, 2017 AT 1:37 PM
Good answer, but that's not the full solution. That brass strap has arced away under the bushing the bolt goes through. Continued arcing will make the problem occur again. The permanent solution is to find a bolt on the motor or mounting plate where a ground wire can be attached. Connect the other end of the wire to a paint-free point on the body. Use nothing smaller than 12 gauge wire. If there is no bolt to loosen, drill a small hole in the mounting plate, then run in a self-tapping screw, or you can drill out one of the five rivets on the motor's switch plate, and replace it with a screw.

Thanks for adding your experience.
+1
Sunday, July 2nd, 2017 AT 9:33 PM