1996 Chrysler Sebring Starts but immediatly stalls.

RCCB1234
  • 1996 CHRYSLER SEBRING
I just had the transmission replaced by a local transmission repair shop and when I picked the car up it would crank over, start to run but immediately stalls. When the mechanic finished the repairs, he started the car fine, backed it out of the stall and did a test drive. Brought it back to the shop and parked it which he then call me to tell me the car was fixed. He replaced the transmission and replaced an engine motor mount. When I came to pick up the car, it stated acting up as first described. After a few minutes of trying to start it and repeatedly attempting a start, the engine finally started and I drove off. I drove about 5 miles and while traveling at 50 miles an hour the engine just stopped running. I pulled over and tried to start it again but got the same action as when I first tried to start it. After about 30 minutes of trying I had it towed back to my house and then to the transmission repair shop. At this time, it still cranks, almost starts but immediately shuts down. The "check engine" light is not on and the gas tank is over half full. Got any ideas what it could be?
Tuesday, February 25th, 2014 AT 6:45 PM

CADIEMAN
You will need to check the fuel pressure.
Tuesday, February 25th, 2014 AT 7:36 PM
RCCB1234
Checked it with the OBDII and a pressure gauge, it checks good 49 psi as prescribed. What next?
Wednesday, February 26th, 2014 AT 5:32 PM
CADIEMAN
Check for spark to the plugs. It may be a bad torque converter did they replace it?
Wednesday, February 26th, 2014 AT 9:34 PM
RCCB1234
Yes. The torque converter was replaced when the transmission was rebuilt and the engine wants to start, it starts to increase in RPM for a few seconds and then dies. I have good spark which was checked by the OBDii and watching the spark jump across the plug gap.
Thursday, February 27th, 2014 AT 1:39 PM
CADIEMAN
Ok the only thing left is a restricted exhaust. Remove the exhaust pipe at the manifold and see what happens.
Thursday, February 27th, 2014 AT 7:40 PM
RCCB1234
You have got to be kidding. That is the best you can come up with? How many Sebrings have you actually worked on? Thanks for the help but no thanks.
Friday, February 28th, 2014 AT 9:05 AM
CADIEMAN
Did you check it yet? It has to be something they did at the transmission shop! What did they say was wrong with it when you towed it back in to them? Did they check for any codes?
Friday, February 28th, 2014 AT 9:30 PM