Chevy Tahoe Fuel Flow Issue

TIMOTHYFG1970
  • 1996 CHEVROLET TAHOE
I have a 96 Chevy Tahoe 4 door 4x4 5.7 Liter V8. We replaced the fuel pump in the fall of 2007. Yesterday when returning home from a short little 40 mile one way road trip she died at a stop light. Thought it was out of gas from the way it was acting (the fuel gauge is off by a quarter tank from when the pump was replaced, it was showing an 8th above a quarter) walked to the gas station and got two gallons put them in an she started right up. Got 1.8 miles down the road and she died again when coming to a stop for another light. Repeated the walk and put another two gallons in (started to suspect something blocking flow somewhere at this point) once again she started up made the last 6tenths of a mile to the gas station but she died when pulling into the pumps. Put another five gallons in but then she wouldn't start at all. Pushed it the side of building and made aggrangments for a friend that is tow a truck driver to pick her up with the flat bed and bring her home this morning (he was already off for the night). When he got there this morning she started right up for him. Since he dropped it off the truck this morning she has started with out fail and I have driven at speed and let idle both all within pushing distance of the drive way with no problems at all except the hit and miss rough idle issue.
Note did develop an occasional rough idle about a week an half ago, it is fairly common but not all the time (bought a complete fuel system cleaner at Autozone that was added to tank at fill up six days ago hoping it might help the rough itle issue, it didn't).
Researching on line and talking to two mechanics I have heard everything from replace the fuel pump again (note I did not hear it do it's whine start up last night but it was a busy noisy area so I may just have missed hearing the noise, but not sure) to replace the fuel filter, to ecm or problems with something blocking fuel injectors and the list goes on.
Like most folks these days do not have tons of money to going buying and switching this and that out until the problem is fixed via trial and error (much less the tow bills if isn't fixed the first time and I have to put her on the flat bed again, for even with the hook up and near half price break it's almost a full c note to get her home.
Any suggestions on how to narrow the field of possibles down. Please email to TimothyFG@yahoo.
Thanks for your input, suggestions and recommendations.
Sincerely,
Timothy FG Fire Chief(Ret.)
Friday, February 25th, 2011 AT 5:58 PM

Intermittent isues are hard to deal with, sometimes. YOU have to do some testing when the problem occurs. First, use a gage and check fuel pressure. Engine cranking, visually check for spark at the plugs. Any applicable trouble codes? My info shows you have the spider fuel system, they are noted for problems.
Friday, February 25th, 2011 AT 6:25 PM
TIMOTHYFG1970
Cranks fine and sounds like everything is hitting right just acts and sounds fuel starved when it does it.
Friday, February 25th, 2011 AT 6:28 PM
PROTECH1980
Sounds like most likely going to be a failing fuel pump module(very common), It would really confirm this, exspecially if instead of hearing your normal whine as you say, there was nothing, But sadly, the only way to confirm this, is to get a pressure reading when it is failing. Also note, GM had some problems with their electrical connectors at the fuel pump, not making good contact resulting in failure, do you know if the connector and wiring pigtail were replaced along with the pump in 07? I get these in the shop quite a bit, Truck wont start, gets towed to shop, now starts, EERRR. As for the rough idle issue you might have some tune up issues, Hows the condition, or age of the cap, rotor, wires, plugs, filter, and are there any diagnostic codes that need to be adressed? I hope some of these suggestions helped and let me know if you have any more questions.
Friday, February 25th, 2011 AT 6:29 PM