Can faulty oxygen sensor cause other electrical issues?

AQUASTELL
  • 1996 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Chevy C1500 Silverado. My check engine light came on and the code indicated a bad oxygen sensor after the converter. I ordered the part (cheaper than picking it up locally) and the day the part arrived, the check engine light went off BEFORE I INSTALLED THE PART. Now I am having trouble busting the old sensor loose because it is pretty well rusted in there and there is a frame cross member in the way of getting good torque on the wrench. But in the meantime, my dash voltage indicator says 9 volts on the battery and the clock reset to 12:00, and this sometimes causes the transmission to SLAM into first gear as well. I had previous electrical gremlins caused by a loose ground wire to the fender - - also really difficult to access! But I'm wondering if the oxygen sensor alone could actually be causing all of this electrical havoc this time? I haven't put a voltmeter on anything yet because it got dark out while I was fighting with the sensor. Will work on it some more in the morning.
Thursday, September 22nd, 2011 AT 12:39 AM

Check to see if the alternator is producing. It sounds like it isn't. As far as the O2 sensor, it wouldn't cause that type of problem. It will cause poor fuel mileage, driveability issues, and other things. Removing them is a pain. Spray it down with something like PB blaster and let it sit. When you put the new one in, put antiseize on the threads so it will come out in the future if bad.
Thursday, September 22nd, 2011 AT 12:44 AM
AQUASTELL
I went out in the dark and put a multimeter on the battery and had 11.98 on the battery. Started the truck and then had 11.56. Beyond that I can't say because my multimeter apparently chose that moment to fail as well. How special is that? The lights aren't the least bit dim, but there is a little battery indicator illuminated on the dash. I'll try autozone in the morning and have them test it all for me. When I pick up the PB Blaster and the special 02 socket that I just learned about as well.
Thursday, September 22nd, 2011 AT 3:38 AM
It sounds like the alt ins't producing. Here is a trick. Start the engine, turn the lights on, and then shut the engine with the lights on. If there is no change in the brightness of the lights (dim when engine is shut) then the alt isn't doing its job. As far as with the engine running, you should have seen around 14 volts at the battery.
Thursday, September 22nd, 2011 AT 3:43 AM