1996 Chevrolet Silverado Clicking in my breaks

SIROPAIN
  • 1996 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Ok, I'm a regular driver. I deliver papers for the local newspaper in my area. I'm constantly running hard and sometimes have to hit the breaks for the occasional herd of Elk. But this is typically usual for stopping at, relatively high speeds for a truck. My truck does have ABS so I have been told this "clicking" sound is coming from the abs because this issue only occurs when the breaks are locked up. (So realistically this happens at lows speeds on ice also) The sound is similar to a wind-up-toy that has been wound too far and there is some vibration in the pedal.

I'm asking because I'm getting ready to change my breaks next month and want to make sure there might not be a caliper issue also. Because occasionally I do get a pull to one side. I just ask this cause ive had many vehicals with ABS over the years as it kinda comes standard these days and have never heard breaks click like crazy like this. Kinda bothers me considering I just had a New born last week

Any ideas?
Saturday, March 14th, 2015 AT 1:34 PM

It is probably the pads worn and needing shims which are already onnew pads. Just make sure caliper moves freely when replacing them. I would suggest putting rebuilt calipers on if there is apull to one side as it may be frozen. Also put on new hardware kits auto parts can show what they are. Normally ABS has like a groan sound when it activates and pedal can bounce up and down especially on gravel.
Saturday, March 14th, 2015 AT 3:53 PM