A/C compressor seized, can I bypass the entire compressor and reroute the belt?

KRISTYNEEMT/FF
  • 1996 CHEVROLET SILVERADO

Either the pulley component on my A/C compressor or the A/C component itself has seized up. The belt just spins and rubs on the wheel, and the truck will barely turn over. I noticed that it has different ways to route the belt depending on whether or not you have A/C. I never use it anyway, so instead of blowing money on a new compressor, can I just re-route it? I have 8 wheels that turn with the belt (AC compressor, tensioner, alternator, PS pump, crankshaft, coolant pump, idler pulley and the A.I.R. Pump.) On the illustration pasted on my radiator, it says there should be an extra wheel that allows me to bypass the AC compressor, but its not there. Suggestions?

Monday, January 2nd, 2012 AT 3:58 AM

RIVERMIKERAT

Yes, you would most likely need to remove the compressor and acquire a shorter belt. You would tell the parts store your vehicle doesn't have AC.

Monday, January 2nd, 2012 AT 4:00 AM